Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment Issues

Resjudicata

I guess this falls in the "don't change things before a match" catagory.

I shot a benefit match yesterday in Desoto Kansas where the Area 3 was held. I decided to shoot my Springfield Operator in Limited 10.

Things done to the gun: new bushing, McCormick trigger/hammer/sear, Wilson magwell, EGW two-piece tungsten guide rod and 12 pound recoil spring.

I have shot this gun quite a bit and it has been very reliable other than an issue with hammer follow right after I put the trigger parts in. The sear spring was a little to light. With that fixed it was 100%. Until now.

On stage two it was like shooting a bolt action. <_< Fire a shot and the slide goes back and hangs up on the next round and just sits there for a second before stripping that round off. 14 rounds with about an extra second for each. That wasn't good. I determined that it was from shooting dirty brass that wasn't cleaned before reloading giving just enough resistance to slow up that light 12 pound spring. So I went to change the spring to stock and promptly lost my mainspring housing pin in the grass in the safety area. So I scavenged the pin from my other gun in my car and went on. The spring did fine after that.

Then on stage five I had a very good run. Top in my division. In spite of my gun spitting the spiffy and expensive tungsten guide rod out the front half way through the stage. :(

I think I was awarded squad comic after that one.

Then on stage seven the slide locked back. I yanked it. No go. I droped the mag. No go. I yanked a few more times and was about to pound it on a rock when I noticed that the slide stop had popped out just about a 1/16 of an inch locking the slide in an odd position. :huh: Pushed it back in, loaded a mag and finished.

Well, that was about as bad as it could get. Still didn't finish last but didn't do as well as I usually do.

However, it was a very fun, if hot, day. JD Smith set up some really great stages as usual and we all had a good time without passing out from the heat. (Nor did anyone throw their gun away, though I thought about it). :D

Chris

Friend shot what turned out to be a bolt-action Glock in yesterday's match. Turned out to be an ammo problem.

I made the mistake of shooting a new blaster in a match without trying it out first. Something's seriously wrong with this gun -- it hit four no-shoots. Ran okay, though. ;)

Friend shot what turned out to be a bolt-action Glock in yesterday's match. Turned out to be an ammo problem.

I made the mistake of shooting a new blaster in a match without trying it out first. Something's seriously wrong with this gun -- it hit four no-shoots. Ran okay, though. ;)

Yeah, my Singlstack Div gun shoots low so I blame a lot of those "no shoot" hits on it. Whether i'm shooting with that one or not. :P

BTW, I didn't explain the pin loss right. I had to add some tension on the sear spring because with the stronger recoil spring it jars the gun just enough to make the sear drop. So I had to take the mainspring house off to add the tension. Thus losing the pin.

BTW, I'm taking both my single stack Springfield and my Lim10 Operator back to stock springs. I would rather have a reliable gun than a slightly faster follow-up shot. I'll just have to work on my technique to get that faster follow-up shot back.

Chris