Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking 180

Shawn Knight

Go, have fun, be safe. The biggest key to safety, regardless of course design, is moving within your personal limits.

The best thing to do as a new shooter is to walk the courses when you shoot them for your first match or two. Speed will come later.

Been there, Done that, got the DQ.

The problem I had was that I was used to shooting outdoor matches (got my BB, in Nov, and all matches since then were indoor). on the second outdoor match, I was not used to having berms on all three sides..

I was "gaming" a stage, and they had 3 targets on the far left side, almost parralel with the starting fence (which defined the 180's I realixed after the fact)..

Instead of going left parralel with the fence posts (and engaging the three on the left) I took the gate in the middle, and took 3 steps ahead before I went left.. when I engaged the three on the left, I was "just" over the 180.. I was called before I made the shot, and it was a good call by the ref. Learned my lesson on that day. it was a really nice run and gun stage. I was pissed that I couldn't finish it.

Oh well..

My first DQ was for breaking the 180 at Tri-County in November 2003. Today I had to DQ a guy for breaking the 180 on our first stage. I hated to do it, but when I can see the rifling in a barrel while chasing with the timer, thats a bad thing.

Two stages later, I DQ'ed on an AD during a reload.

Karma? I could have sworn my finger wasn't near the trigger, and the RO said the same thing. Makes me want to remove the long/flat insert and put in a short one.