Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Dry Fire Habits

Z-man

Lately I've really been working hard on my draws and reloads. In dry fire the times are getting faster and faster, but when I'd go to the range I noticed that while the draw or reload itself was fast, the shot was slow. There seemed to be a slight hesitation once the gun was up on target. Today during dry fire I realized that while dry firing I'd remove my trigger finger from the trigger during the reload and not return it until the gun was on target. Same thing with the draw. My finger isn't on the trigger until the gun is up. I think that is what was slowing me down in live fire! Tonight I'm working on getting that finger onto the trigger (when it's safe of course ;) ) and feeling that bit of tension as the gun comes into view so that I can fire as soon as the gun is on target. Anyone else experienced this? I definitely realized how easily one can ingrain bad habits in dry fire that carry over into live fire!

I taught myself a nasty habit of doubletapping by constantly pushing the time down on my dryfire drills. Sure enough, get the the match and I doubletapped everything I lined up on without even realizing I was doing it. Another shooter pointed it out to me and I realized I had not seen the second sight picture on ANY of the targets.

Dry fire is a great tool for improvement, but I have to be REALLY careful not to get sloppy or go too fast.

Lately I've really been working hard on my draws and reloads. In dry fire the times are getting faster and faster, but when I'd go to the range I noticed that while the draw or reload itself was fast, the shot was slow. There seemed to be a slight hesitation once the gun was up on target. Today during dry fire I realized that while dry firing I'd remove my trigger finger from the trigger during the reload and not return it until the gun was on target. Same thing with the draw. My finger isn't on the trigger until the gun is up. I think that is what was slowing me down in live fire! Tonight I'm working on getting that finger onto the trigger (when it's safe of course ;) ) and feeling that bit of tension as the gun comes into view so that I can fire as soon as the gun is on target. Anyone else experienced this? I definitely realized how easily one can ingrain bad habits in dry fire that carry over into live fire!

This IS as it SHOULD BE. I have seen quite a few AD's (accidental discharges) by shooters who "prematurely" inserted their fingers and started squeezing their triggers out of synchronization with their sight pictures SAFELY!!! :(:angry: It is better to err on the safe side than clumsily for the sake of speed. Should you not remove your finger (completely and keep it off for the duration) from the trigger, and out off the trigger guard, as you reload, and this is noticed by an RO, will earn you a DQ!!!!!

While some people will push the envelope, it is not worth it to ruin the fine safety record we have accomplished in this sport. The same applies to the thumb safety de-activation. Fingers should be inserted in the trigger guard, and safeties should be deactivated ONLY when the muzzle is pointing towards your target, the one you intend to shoot at after determination of your "next, immediate" target, and not just a general direction.

By your post (maybe I may be wrong, apologies if I am.) it seems to be that what you need is more "live fire practice", and plenty of it. Your dry fire practice has indeed taught you good habits to a subconscious level, as it should be. Don't go ruin it now by un-learning those good/safe practices. With some wholehearted practice following the same guidelines you will soon gain the speed at inserting, withdrawing and re-sinserting that finger, and prepping the trigger. Many of us actually practice "slow-mo" what you are doing naturally now, to re-teach us good form and timing. With practice, and continuing your "good form" you will speed up just fine. Just get used to having and using some patience as you develop your skills to second nature. Maku Mozo! ;):D

DO NOT practice getting your finger back on the trigger before the sights are on the target!!! Rule # 3 of gun safety:

"Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot."

Unless your sights are on the target, you aren't ready to shoot.

Practice getting the sights on target quicker. Practice getting your grip quicker. Practice getting to your mags quicker. Practice getting that finger off the trigger and that thumb on the mag release quicker after the accurate shot breaks. But don't practice getting your finger on the trigger prior to your sights being on target. If you do then you will be practicing bad habits, the kind that get you D.Q.ed.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

From what I'm getting your reloading, putting the gun back up, lining up the sights then..............putting your finger in the trigger guard and squeezing off the round?????

This would cause a slow time. It all depends on your level as when to put your finger back in. Better safe than sorry.

If you extend your arms out like your shooting and bring the gun back, this is the point where I'm starting my finger heading toward the trigger. By the time I extend out I'm ready to fire, when the sights line up I squeeze.

As soon as I hit my reload my finger is back on the trigger. I'm left handed and really don't have to worry about AD's on reloads. I use my trigger finger to drop the mag.

My weak hand and trigger finger are both headed to the gun at the same time. My finger is on the trigger prior to sights lining up, But not by much.

I think trigger control is important and if you wait until your sights line up then put your finger in your not only losing time put chances of slapping the trigger increase.

Basically on the draw and reload my trigger finger is on the trigger just prior to lining up the sights. Never on a reload should your finger be in the trigger guard until its complete, on the draw the finger shouldn't be in the trigger guard until the end of the draw, just prior to the sights lining up.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Hi all~ Thanks for the posts. Looking back over what you all said about safety concerns (and re-reading my original post) I realized that I didn't explain myself very well. I agree with you all that one's finger shouldn't be on the trigger unless the gun is on target and one shouldn't stay on the trigger during a reload. What I meant was that during dry fire my finger would stay outside the trigger guard (just, as you all said, as it should), but I often never pulled the trigger once on target, or else I wouldn't put my finger onto the trigger until the last moment when the shot was lined up. What I now am doing is the same thing except that my finger is in the trigger guard once the gun is up and safely pointed in the direction of the target during dry fire so that the process is much smoother. Before my draw was very segmented with a slight hesitation at the end:

First, get a good grip

Second, bring the gun up onto target

Third, align sights

Fourth, finger onto trigger and fire

Now I'm doing the following

First, good grip

Second, gun onto target, finger on trigger as sights are being aligned.

Sorry for the confusion. I realize that things as I had stated them were cause for concern. I don't know if I've accurately described now what I'm doing differently, so please feel free to let me know what you think. I think Flyin40 best described what is happening and how I'm trying to change it.

Edited by Z-man

First, get a good grip

Second, bring the gun up onto target

Third, align sights

Fourth, finger onto trigger and fire

Now I'm doing the following

First, good grip

Second, gun onto target, finger on trigger as sights are being aligned.

Using your sequience and labels, my teacher calls the 4 step approach "dwelling" (or surveying the sights before engaging the trigger or excessive sight survey prior to trigger press). The 3 step approach he would describe as prepping the trigger.

I was tought a five step draw:

1) Positive grip on the gun

2) Clear the holster

3) Support hand meets up with strong hand and gun

4) Push out to present while prepping trigger (generally real prep for me starts about 3/4 of the way out in the push)

5) Sights on, break the shot

I dry-fire by aiming at a piece of black target tape about 3/4" square in the HS zone of an IDPA target with a No-shoot overlapping about 1-1.5" of the threat HS. I'm finally getting into the .8's...hope to get into the .7's by the end of the season.

Regarding finger indexing on the slide, that's a GOOD HABIT! When I RO, I'm a stickler about the trigger finger being indexed on the slide when not actively engaging a target. I've done some testing from low ready (more accurately ISI rested ready), and there is ZERO difference between pointing and breaking the shot with finger on trigger or starting indexed on slide. Because I've worked hard to point well, pick up the sights well, and appropriately prep the trigger, there is no "tactical" advantage to premature trigger engagement.

There is a HUGE safety advantage to staying off the trigger until you are sights on.

Good luck, and safe shooting,

CZ52'

Edited by CZ52GUY