Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Strikes With S&w 686

professor

I like the sound of that: The "Whip Hammer"--available this fall from the Rotary Gunsmithing Institute.

(The cut-down hammer on the 25-2 Sam shoots is now actually less than half of its original weight. I whittled away at that one from every conceivable direction. Jack Dremel sure would have been proud of what we've accomplished together....)

Now let's be honest, Dave--you felt the action on my 625 at Area 3 and the first thing you said was, "Kinda heavy, isn't it?" And that's what happens when you get spoiled by one of those Apex guns, your finger muscles get all flaccid.

I meant the gun was "Heavy", I thought you're trigger was so light and perfect it should be ruled illegal. Heck it was snapping itself just while I held it. It has to be the reason you keep kicking my butt!

Seriously, it was a bit heavier than mine, but it was really smooth it's a wonder what a Dremel can do in the right hands. Then Randy has my trigger so light I worry about it doubling!

I hope you meant "Placid", as there's nothing flaccid about me.

BTW, I dry fire with a "CLARK" Action Job in my M29 and it's at 7#.

I think I've got the light hit problem identified and solved. At last Sunday's match of 120 rounds, I had 3 light hits [no bang, firing pin hits centered but too light to set off the primer]. So Monday I phone ordered a C&S extended firing pin. That arrived Wednesday. :)

Prior to changing anything, I checked the existing setup with the Bic-o-meter, and it came up with a wimpy 26 inches :( [vs. 40" needed for reliable ignition of Federal primers, according to another thread], and that was with the mainspring strain screw in full, 8.7# trigger pull.

After polishing the barrel of the C&S firing pin, and checking for free travel, I installed it. Then I checked its performance with the same mainspring setting, and registered 70 plus inches on the Bic-o-meter! :D [70 plus, because the ceiling interfered with getting the true reading].

Backing off the strain screw got me a 42-43 inch reading with a trigger pull of 7-1/4 #. I still have to verify the results on the range, but it looks like I've got a winning combination. :)

I promise to grind down the strain screw so it can be screwed in tight, rather than use blue loctite... sometime. :rolleyes: