Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Stage Design Opinions

Guys, I've never shot a 3-gun match before, and I'm just dying to bring it to my club. I'd really appreciate it if some of ya'll would chime in and give me some design ideas and tips about how to build the stages needed, whether they be shotgun or rifle (I'm fairly decent at building a pistol stage) or a combonation of both. I've read about building a hot box so a shooter can stow a hot weapon, and I'm willing to build one or more. Thinking of having an aux RO to watch over said weapon, too.

The bays I have to work with are:

1) main bay is 40yd wide x 40yd deep (most of the time we set up two stages here, a big one and a speed shoot)

2) rapid bay is about 15yd wide x 45 yd deep (good for shoot-on-the-run downrange scenario)

3) aux pistol bay is 15yd wide x 20yd deep.

4)I can also use of one end of our 100yd rifle bay, but cannot use steel there per club rules. All shots would probably have to be fired from the fixed firing line, no moving downrange.

*We have one other pistol bay, but we leave it open for any other club members to use during matches. The three skeet and 5-stand fields are out of the question, as well as the 200 and 300 yard rifle fields and the cowboy action range.*

With club permission I can shoot rifle or shotgun on the aforementioned pistol bays.

I've got about 10 4x8 walls approx 6 feet tall on stands, some with ports, 6 4'x4' walls, 80-90 target stands, 15 poppers, 8 of which are rated for rifle fire, Texas star, 20-25 plates on stands, clamshell, beartrap, dissappearing target, swinger, 15 solid end barrels, 2 open end barrels, 2 Bianchi type barricades, about 100 ft of the 3' tall orange safety fencing, several shooters boxes, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, I'm willing to build/fabricate what you might suggest I need, and most of all a huge desire to shoot 3-gun!

Soooo... How about helping a brother out!

p.s. I'll be gone for the next week, working out of state, so don't think I'm ignoring you by not responding soon!

Edited by ken hebert