Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

buddhist humor

miyamoto

so these five buddist monks take a five year retreat/study on "silence".

the stipulations are that you can't talk at all...for the entire 5 years...no matter what.

but...once a year the the five monks would take turns having a chance to write down their thoughts and the instructor/master would then say it out aloud to the class of five. no other response, or dialogue would be allowed.

so they begin their course.

one year goes by in total silence...

one day they draw straws to get the chance to be the first to write down what they want to have said.

the master then reads aloud, the words of the first monk...

the monk wrote: "i would like something else besides rice soup"

another year goes by...another monk gets his chance to have his words said aloud by the master.

he writes: "i quite like the rice soup"

another year of total silence goes by and another monk gets his chance.

he writes: "i would appreciate more vegetable in the rice soup"

another year goes by in total mind numbing silence and the fourth monk writes his thoughts

he writes: "i would prefer a little meat in the soup"

another traumatizing year of silence floats by and the fifth monk gets to have his words read aloud by the master right before they are released

he writes: "would you all stop f@$King talking about the soup...you are driving me crazy!"

(Edited by miyamoto at 4:06 pm on June 25, 2001)

• 2 months later...

I heard a similer version to that one.A monk enters a strict monastary,complete silence you can only speak two words a year on New Years Eve.The first year he says "food bad",the next year he says "bed hard",and the next year he states proudly "I leave".The head monk says "Well I am not surprised,You have done nothing but complain since you have been here."