Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub-major Loads W/ Stock Recoil Spring?

revchuck

Folks - I did a search, and plowed through 12 pages of threads trying to find an answer, and ended up SOL.

My situation is this: I have a Steyr M40 that now runs reliably. After a practice session of over 200 rounds of 180+ PF factory ammo, I decided it's time to change the dies on my Dillon to .40 S&W. I want to load softer ammo, but don't know how soft I can go and have the gun keep running. The situation is exacerbated by the fact that there are NO aftermarket recoil springs for Steyrs.

Question: What kind of powder/bullet combination do I need to try to keep reliable functioning? Fast/heavy? Slow/light? Fast/light? Slow/heavy? I have powders that range from straight Clays to SR 4756 and Longshot in burning rate. The only bullets I have on hand are 155 grain Precisions, but am willing to buy heavier if necessary. I want to keep above a 130 PF, and realize I may not get that low and maintain reliability.

If this is addressed somewhere else, please point me to it!

Thanks!

With my Po 16-40 and Sig 229 Sport only trial and error will tell. I prtefer the faster burning powders and loads which are less than 22000 psi. Light recoil and accurate.