Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pay Value

Flyin40

I'm reading With Winning in Mind for the second time and actually putting it to use. I'm at the point of defining my pay value. I was wondering what process everyone went through to find the pay value that worked for them.

For me a few things came to mind right away, the satisfaction of accomplishing what I set out to do/accomplishing my goal has a high pay value for me.

Whats everyones take on this?

the satisfaction of accomplishing what I set out to do/accomplishing my goal has a high pay value for me.

Whats everyones take on this?

My pay value is similar to that. I spend a lot of resources on this sport (time, money, emotion) but it's worth it for that feeling of just having shot a good match. I don't know why it's worth it. It just is. And the feeling can carry me to the next big match where I hope to repeat the process.

Some people spend a lot of time and money to get that feeling you get when you hit a 300 yard drive right down the middle of the fairway. Others from being in the front row at a concert performed by their favorite band. Whatever. For me, it's experiencing the time spent training paying off in a good match performance, where I perform better than I ever have before.

My pay value is different from the previous posters' (and probably most everyone else's). Personally I take very little pleasure from achieving something I set out to do PER SE. I may enjoy the goal (winning a stage, match) but the fact that I achieved my goal honestly doesn't give me much pleasure. I know it sounds weird and you're probably gonna say I'm doing it wrong but that's how it is with me. This applies to other aspects of my life as well (acquiring a dream job and successfully dropping some weight before summer come to mind from recent memory). I'm also kind of a bad loser, and I find it very difficult to enjoy the fact that "well, I did my best".

I'm not ashamed (well, maybe a little =) to admit that possibly the best pay value for me is the respect and awe of fellow competitors. I'm competetive by nature and it feels great to win and be acknowledged for it.

A very specific thing I enjoy about competetive shooting is a stage win. I've won matches as well (though not major matches) and it feels great but still pales in comparison to a stage win. I love to see the stage results and see where I beat my competition (points/speed) and by how much (0,5 seconds/3 points). Then I usually compare my stage hit factor to the Open stage results (I shoot Standard). Boy do I feel great if I notice I'd have won the stage in Open as well!

For better or worse, these are my pay values. I know they differ a lot from those of other people, but hey, it would be pretty boring if we all weren't different.

My pay value is different from the previous posters' (and probably most everyone else's). Personally I take very little pleasure from achieving something I set out to do PER SE. I may enjoy the goal (winning a stage, match) but the fact that I achieved my goal honestly doesn't give me much pleasure. I know it sounds weird and you're probably gonna say I'm doing it wrong but that's how it is with me. This applies to other aspects of my life as well (acquiring a dream job and successfully dropping some weight before summer come to mind from recent memory). I'm also kind of a bad loser, and I find it very difficult to enjoy the fact that "well, I did my best".

I'm not ashamed (well, maybe a little =) to admit that possibly the best pay value for me is the respect and awe of fellow competitors. I'm competetive by nature and it feels great to win and be acknowledged for it.

A very specific thing I enjoy about competetive shooting is a stage win. I've won matches as well (though not major matches) and it feels great but still pales in comparison to a stage win. I love to see the stage results and see where I beat my competition (points/speed) and by how much (0,5 seconds/3 points). Then I usually compare my stage hit factor to the Open stage results (I shoot Standard). Boy do I feel great if I notice I'd have won the stage in Open as well!

For better or worse, these are my pay values. I know they differ a lot from those of other people, but hey, it would be pretty boring if we all weren't different.

I don't think there is a wrong or right answer for this as long as it works for you.

Flyin40