Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aimpoint 5000?

Ceol

I've got the opportunity to pick up an Aimpoint 5000 pretty cheap at the moment, and I'm wondering how good of an optic they are. I've been planning to get a red dot for my rifle for a while (probably an EOTech), but my budget is tight, so this Aimpoint could be just the thing.

I see they were discontinued a few years ago; does anyone have experience with them?

I had one on my first racegun until I switched over to a C-More. I liked the sight - nice crisp dot. Mine was bright enough. Never had any issues with it, personally... I had the 10MOA model - looks like there was a 3 MOA model, as well (which would probably be more appropriate for rifle...)

If you were gonna' run just a red dot anyway, then it's a fine choice for a red dot considering the price. Yeah, the Optima and C-More/OKO ones are more modern in design and occlude less, but so what, the Aimpoint works fine if you practice with it (just like anything, duh).

The choice of a non-magnified red dot will hurt you if you ever shoot at great distances (200+ yards).