Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One-handed Shooting

cz75ipsc

I rule! :D

Seriously, I visited the range today after a REALLY long pause (the winter here is cruel..). I've never practiced a lot of one-handed shooting and I generally suck at it (I know, I know, train your weaknesses instead of your strengths), but today I was on fire. This is gonna sound stupid but the feeling that I got was that I put the sights on the A-zone and pull the trigger. Repeat. Really, that's how it felt, and it was great. I started to push for speed as it seemed so easy to hit the A. More A's. It was incredible. It wasn't just the feeling of speed, I timed myself and was shooting solid .25-.30 splits (which for me is good for SHO/WHO).

I don't want to dissect the performance and possibly spoil it by over-analyzing, but here are some observations. I think these may be a factor in this.

-I had no expectations from myself

-I was so intent on seeing the sights on the target that I completely forgot about the recoil (which has been an issue in my one-handed shooting before)

-I had switched to a lighter recoil spring (maybe a trick-of-the-day?)

I don't know why, but it feels like I shot better SHO/WHO _because_ I hadn't practiced it, or shooting in general. Maybe it has something to do with expectations on my performance. I really hope this wasn't just a freak performance peak (which is difficult to believe).

Actually, I just realized that my freestyle-shooting was as good as it was late last season. Not better, but definately not worse. It's freaky, since every year around this time I'm really rusty. I wonder what has happened...

Edited by cz75ipsc