Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunny Day Chasing The C/ds Away With My G20 / 40

shooting4fun

G'day All,

It was a bright clear, cool spring, sunny SE AZ day. A good day for a handgun match! I chose to shoot my G20 / 40 setup for this match. It is a G20 (10 mm) with a Federal Arms conversion barrel to run 40 SW. This is a fun setup for me as it has a nice sized grip along with nice recoil characteristics. I believe the larger diameter grip helps me in a number of areas, better / natural trigger finger placement, also more surface area to distribute recoil. [What little recoil there is, as it shoots pretty soft with Winchester White Box from Wally World]

Shooting this club match a week after shooting the 2006 Dust Devil Classic was just another extension of shooting enjoyment for this kid. THXs to Debbie Ferns, the entire crew at the Pima Pistol Club, and all the Match sponsors for making it an absolutely fantastic first regional match to attend! Well Done! Looking forward to attending the next one. Also working on getting the word out to others to expand on the fun.

This match was four stages, all of them based on the level of evil that the match director had for breakfast. He shot the 2006 DDC too. I'm sure that experience augmented his creativity for the day. Since this pistol setup is relatively new to me, I drove it conservatively focusing on going mainly for A/Bs and shooting cleanly.

Things were running smoothly for me on the first three stages. I was satisfied with my performance in shooting clean, not fast, no major brain fade. Stage four was insidiously tempting to just grip and rip the array of 7 up close linear targets only to have to hold together long enough to pick off the steel quail sitting on a 1.5 meter high post at 40+ yards. After cleanly engaging the first two targets things were going good, had to keep from getting too greedy before clearing the rest of the target array. Now the moment of truth, could I pull it together to tag the stop plate? Only had a couple of rounds left to throw at the stop plate before a reload....oh no! Ended up picking it off on the second shot after the reload. I really thought this stage was my undoing for the day. It seemed like an eternity throwing those four rounds at the stop plate, especially with that forced reload.

Since this was the last stage of the day. the squad broke up after the shooting concluded. I ended up helping a friend get his sights adjusted and then assisting in the stage breakdown. I didn't find out about my score until just before packing up to leave the range. Scored way better than I perceived my performance allowed for.

It seems that it is better for me to focus on shooting for the A/Bs (accuracy emphasis) and keeping each stage clean. Should be interesting for next month's match. More data points to analyze! Gosh I just love this type of testing! May you all be well! Get in some range time while the weather is great!

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing!

Looks like you did your homework and tested everything at the range before you shot the match.

Glad you did well and had a great time!

Isn't it fun trying out a gun for the first time. When I shot my G20 with the 40 KKM conversion, I had very similar results too!