Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear Muffs And Recovery Time

ajax

Dont listen for the steel to hear the hit ............ watch your shot break when your sights are on target, and you squeeze that trigger. Call your shot and move on to the next one. Do that for each and every shot you take and your improve quickly.

Dont listen for the steel to hear the hit ............ watch your shot break when your sights are on target, and you squeeze that trigger. Call your shot and move on to the next one. Do that for each and every shot you take and your improve quickly.

Something that helped me train to not listen for the steel is shooting small paper plates. I'll line them up four in a row and move them 15-20 yards and shoot one, move to the next, shoot one, move to the next.

Just like Keen said, you want to call your shot rather than listen for it, sound travels slow and you're wasting time listening for the acknowledgement of the bullet connecting to the plate before you transition to your next plate. If you try shooting paper plates, you'll be surprised at how fast your transition from plate to plate becomes and then you're clearing the rack in a fraction of the time that it took you to shoot and listen, shoot and listen, etc.

Good luck.

P.S. To answer your original question. I have the Pro Ears Dimension 1's by Ridgeline. They're great for matches, they don't cut out when shots are fired but rather the loud noise is filtered. So you can have a normal conversation standing next to a guy shooting an open gun and the headset doesn't shut off the electronics. I think for a headset you can't get any better than those, plus they have a five year warranty.

Edited by Cjblackmon

WOW! What CJ said makes so much sense it's almost like BE himself said it (heck he probably already did).

If you treat a steel plate like any other target ........ just aim, squeeze, call shot, and move to the next target ...... it makes shooting steel a little easier.

And in the same token if you shoot your cardboard targets like you shoot your steel ......... aim for the A (it's really a little bit bigger than a steel plate, right?), squueze, call your shot, and move on to the next target ........... they become one in the same!

eeerie isn't it ???? B)