Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Light Primer Strikes

Mark McDermott

I have recently purchased a NIB PC686 in 38 Super. Using PMC ammo I will get 1 - 3 light primer strikes. This is with the factory moonclips. It's not the hammer spring tension screw as it is fully seated. I don't believe I have bent the clips. Should I try a thicker mooclip or is there another possible fault I can look for.

Thanks

Mark McDermott

I have recently purchased a NIB PC686 in 38 Super. Using PMC ammo I will get 1 - 3 light primer strikes. This is with the factory moonclips. It's not the hammer spring tension screw as it is fully seated. I don't believe I have bent the clips. Should I try a thicker mooclip or is there another possible fault I can look for.

Thanks

Mark McDermott

There is really no way for you to know if the gun has been modified without checking everything out. Generally, a stock parts gun will fire a broad range of ammo even if the moon clips are bent to the point they drag.

The screw may be seated, but the tip may have been ground off and/or the spring may have been bent to reduce trigger pull.

The cheapest/easiest thing to try first would be to take the hammer spring out and bend it to put more force on the hammer. If the return spring isn't cut down (too much) this could make it run. If the return spring is too weak, the hammer/trigger won't reset unless you push the trigger forward manually. In either case this may help you find a place to start.

The real question is how you want to use the gun. If it's a closet gun for ocassional range sessions, you can buy a new stock spring set for under $10.00 and and a new strain screw for about $5.00 and probably be back to pretty close stock condition. Double check the model number of the gun for the part examples given below. You didn't say which PC 686 it was so there may be an incorrect part below, but this will give you some ideas.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...G&s=34687#34687

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...G&s=34793#34793

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...T&s=34149#34149

Now, if you want to race it, that's a different list of things to do entirely. Checking for hammer drag ain't a bad place to start... :)

Thanks

Mark McDermott

Take your grips off ande make sure the screw has not backed out!!