Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drill For Shooting On The Move

Flyin40

I found out this past weekend why I have trouble shooting on the move. For some reason(all mental) when I start moving I no longer try to pick a target spot, I just shoot brown(all mental).

I added some other aspects I need to work on in there too.

I shot it on the plate rack range.

Starting position was at the 25 yd line, hands at sides facing downrange

First target to the left about 3yds and at 22yds from the plate rack, 3 yds to the left of me and 3 yds up

Second target at 18yds, I added a no shoot covering half of a-zone.

Third target at 14yds

Fourth target at 10yds

I ran a line straight down and stayed about 3yds from the targets(imaginary fault line)

Shooting box at 10yds, Enter the box shoot 1 plate from the rack while entering the box.

First attempt was to just shoot it like I always do. Just to approach it like I normally would in a match.

38pts in 5.86 seconds with a hit on the no shoot. This run would be a typical run for me on a stage the required alot of running and shooting.

Now it was onto picking a spot and shooting, not really worry about running and shooting, just shooting.

After about 5 runs I worked out a few kinks

43pts in 6.76

45pts in 6.34

45pts in 6.56

42pts in 6.67

So heres how I got my best runs, ran about 15 total

Draw and engage 1st target, finishing the 2nd shot while leaving the shooting position, engage the 2nd target coming out of the box(safest was to shoot the target with the no shoot from the shooting position but that was not the purpose of the drill), run down to the next target engage the next 2 targets up close then enter the box and finish. When I followed this plan I was pretty consistent.

I found I was engaging the farther targets too soon instead of shooting them when I got to them. This improved my points dramatically. Shooting while running(not duck walking) at a target at 10yds is not a good thing.

Next I tried to run it while shooting all the targets from the starting position and then running down and engaging the plate

45pts in 7.38secs This way was alot slower for me on this course.

One thing I figured out was I nailed the plate while entering the box and just picking up the back foot on all except one run when I had to pick up the miss. Getting better at it.

To help me to really find a spot on the target I purposely put the no-shoot on the 2nd target to really make sure I would pick a spot. In matches when I start running is when I start to see brown. So I wanted my 2nd target to really make me "see".

I had to end the session while working on this due to the severe weather here in Ohio.

Be interested to see what others could do

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

hmmmm...that setup sounds kinda familar. :)

yep,............I'll be there tomorrow morning doing the same thing and probably Sun. morning also if I don't go to Miamisburg. Breakin out the Marvel 22 to work on it.

Flyin40

Worked on this again today, found it much easier to hit all A's.

Times were from 6secs to 6.20 secs with all A's. I shot this with the Marvel Conversion 22.

I switched to the open gun and runs were the same, had my best run at 5.85secs with all A's. Just learning effiency of movement.

I'll have some video of Bills Drills, 1reload1 and 2 reload 2 as soon as Google checks it out.

I haven't really done these in a yr and my times went down dramactically.

Flyin40