Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polygonal Rifling

rmfield

Does Anybody out there have any experience with polygonal rifling in a precision rifle? I have heard claims that polygonal rifled barrels produce higher velocities, last longer, and are equally accurate to button or cut rifling barrels. I've also heard claims that the bullets fly better in the wind due to less deformation from the rifling. I didn't give any of these claims too much consideration until I also heard that David Tubb switched to polygonal rifling in all of his rifle barrels (http://www.zediker.com/books/ar15/zbay3.html).

Don't know about Tubb, but if that were the truth, all the Bench guys would be using them, and they are NOT...get a good cut rifled bbl, Kreiger, or a good button bbl by Hart, Lilja, or Wiseman...You can't go wrong there...

Everything you said is true to a degree, but there is also a new rifling called "C" which is 5 lands with 40 degree corners on rifling. The bench rest guys are liking these. Also a small degree of taper to muzzle seems to be very important also. Last tweak is a barrel tuner which puts the nodal point at the muzzle.

to see value of any of these things you must be a reloader who is willing to take the time to try, powder, bullets, over all lengths etc. For a very small gain in accuracy.

Don't know if it is the same thing, but Shilen has had a "ratchet" procedure where they can use any number of lands/grooves and the inside edge of the land is eased to prevent stress on the bullet and the bbl....

And while what you say is true, only a tiny fraction of bench shooters are experimental enough to use an untried or tested barrel in any big match that they might shoot...

As far as having a tight spot in the barrel, it is always better to have it toward the muzzel, but consistenty, or lack of a tight spot is ultimatley better..that is why the runout on match bbls is such a big deal to the guys before they rebarrel...they almost always demand that the runout is +/- .0001

:P:D:)