Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Kids First Match

bierman

Took my 9 year old daughter to her first shooting match today. CTRP in Waco TX has a great Junior 22 rifle program open to anyone who wants to show up. They provide the rifles, ammo, targets, ball caps and prizes (ribbons, medals and trophies). All of this for whatever donation you can give. Its a great program that really focuses on safety and fun for the kids.

My daughter started shooting about 2 years ago, mostly 22 rifle and pistol. She really seems to enjoy it and so when I found this junior program, she was ready to try it out. She was pretty nervous and did not really know what to expect so I just kept telling her to relax and have fun, not to even worry about how well she placed. They shot everything from sitting and prone and, compared to the typical USPSA match, it was pretty slow paced, although that was probably best given the lack of experience on the line. Well, there were 16 in her group (first timers) and she ended up scoring high enough to make the Marksman division shooting 213 out of a possible 400, which was good enough for 4th place in her division. She was really stoked to get a medal and a baseball cap for her efforts and seemed to have a great time.

I was most impressed with this program and am pleased to see that the future of shooting sports is being fostered among our kids. If you are close to Waco, they run the match on the 2nd Sundayof the month at 1:30 pm. The only thing that would make it more perfect, in my opinion, is if they would do it on the third Sunday, the day after the USPSA match there, so I would only have to make the trek from Dallas to Waco once a month ;) I guess that wouldn't really be a problem if I didn't have to take out a home equity loan every time I wanted to fill up my truck :D

213 out of a possible 400,

WOW :) I dont know what kind of targets or distance they were shooting at but 213 out of 400 sounds GREAT for a kid so young and new to shooting!

Way to go! keep her at it. We need more young 'uns (and girls) in this sport. As all of us grow old(er) the juniors are the future of this great game we play!

They were using NRA rapid fire pistol targets (looked to be about 3" 9/10/X ring) shooting from 50 feet. The kid who won the beginner division shot 360/400. I was watching his target after my kid finished and he was killing the 10 ring. The other division (experienced kids) winner shot 465/500. It was impressive.

I was standing with my daughter during the safety briefing surrounded by little ones (7 was the minimum age) and I remember thinking "here stands the future of our sport" and it was good. :D