Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New With M9

PFC_DJ

Hey guys

Brand new to USPSA and going to shoot prod for now. I was wondering what specific equipment works with the M9 such as a good holster and the best mags available. Ive been looking at packs of 4 mags off of ebay and was wondering if there was anything to look out for. Also I was wondering what kind of shoots IPSC does on Army bases, seeing as ill be there in a couple of months, or will I just have to go to a local competition.

Thanks

Derek

Hi there Derek! Welcome to the forums!

I would think that an Uncle Mike's kydex holster labeled for the Beretta 92/96 line would do just fine for IPSC production.

(Not to bash IDPA, but my UM belt loop holsters are illegal in IDPA now. So if you're thinking that IDPA might be in your future, you may want to go w/ a kydex paddle holster from just about any manufacturer.)

Seems like UM's are the least expensive option. Ditto for mag pouches.

I don't know anything about Ebay.

I don't know anything about competitions on Army bases.

I suppose you could go to USPSA's website. I think they have a club/match locator there. They also have a section on how to get started.

I don't know anything about M9 mags.

So let me suggest this: head on over to the berettaforums.net, if you haven't already and register/login there and post your questions.

They are most knowledgeable about Pizza Guns.

If Army posts are anything like Air Force bases, they will want you to keep your personal M9 locked up in the armory if you live on post. You'll have to check it out and back in everytime you want to take it to the range.

Your fellow comrade in arms Max Michel should be your hero. Max is on the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit. He won the Steel Challenge open division. A second and a half faster he would have earned a 20 or 25 k bonus. He has his own forum too.

(Thanks Michael Bane for the coverage in the cable show Shooting Gallery.)

One other thing you might want to do w/ your M9 assuming it's got that black finish (bruniton?), is to get yourself some day glow red,orange, and/or greenish yellow oil enamel model car/airplane paint and a small brush. Paint the the front sight's "ramp" with one of those colors. Don't be perplexed about painting over the dot (well, if it's a night sight that's a different story). It'll make it so much easier to pick up the FS in the rear notch when it's painted such a bright color. It also is a lot better if you're shooting at some bullseye style target. You won't have this black on black on black non-contrast problem.

Shops specializing in fishing lure making supplies also handle very brightly colored and durable paints.

If you would put in some location info in your next post or in your profile, the regulars here would be able to tell where to look for matches/ranges/clubs.

Chills

Edited by Chills1994

Thanks there Chills, I will go to the beretta forum to find out the best gear for my beretta. However its only a temporary thing, im planning on getting an STI as soon as I get out of basic. As for the painting idea I think that that might help alot for my "pizza" gun (got quite a chuckle out of that).

as for my location im in the beautiful gunshine state, Ft. Lauderdale area

Edited by PFC_DJ

Look around on the forums and you can find some folks that can cleap up your M9. It's a good pistol, don't get me wrong, but whew....I shiver every time I draw mine from the armorer, 'cause I just wait for something to break. But thankfully, I'm the only one in the company that's qualified expert every time with the POS.

Ernest Langdon ought to be able to take care of you really well.

As for other gear, Uncle Mike's kydex is definitely a good option and then, just get mags that work and keep it clean and lubed.

Don't get frustrated. Remember, while you'll be running with Open guns, you're not shooting against them.

Good luck battle,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

< 120 days in the ROK

Yes, ditto what BIGDAWG said. You won't be shooting against the folks w/ the Open Blasters, but you'll get an idea of what the competition is like, and how much practice you'll have to put in. Which leads me to my next point.....

You can buy a .22 conversion for that M9, which pricewise for ammo would be a lot cheaper than 9mm. Unless of course Uncle Sam can supply you with that for free.

Or buy an airsoft gun.

If you wanna see what'll be present for, check out:

www.hosercam.com

Click on the video clips. Right click on each one and save to your 'puter.

Watch 'em whenever you want.

That'll get you fired up for competitions.

Chills