Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavyweight 610 Loads?

sargenv

Chey-Cast in Cheyenne, Wyoming makes a wonderful 200 gr. RN using a Magma mould, I have the same mould & they come out 205 grs. using wheel weights. My load in 40 S&W cases is, 3.7 grs. of WST & of course Federal primers, this loads clocks 171 PF out of my 6 1/2" 610 S&W.

Dick

Wear your seat belt, that way you wouldn't have to walk back to the wreck!

Thanks Dick. This might be useful for those of us who like straight lead cast round nose bullets. Unfortunately I prefer the less smoke jacketed, plated, or moly coated bullets, but this is another source for heavier weighted round noses. Thanks for the info!

Vince

Personally, I'd prefer that if anyone were making a heavyweight bullet in 40 cal, it should be in a round nose and not a RN-FP since that is already available.

Amen to that! Rainier used to have 200 gr RN bullets in their inventory, but don't anymore. Berry's also makes a 180 gr RN. I've shot both the 155 and the 180 in my 610 and my 646 with good results.

Berrys MFG makes an awesome round nose 180 .40

I have been shooting them since they came out

just about 2 years ago

Here is the data:

assorted .40 brass (my 610 eats them all)

Berrys 180 rn

wst 5.3 gr

oal 1.130

I shoot these through a 4 inch 610 at 940fps

The only difference from the minor load is

the brass stresses sooner at major so I only reload brass

about 4 to 5 times.

If you like the longer 6.5 barreled guns you may build preasure quicker

so you may have to dial down the load.

I have shot aprox. 25k rounds thru my one 610 with no problem

Other powders I have tried are always dirty burning

I need my gun to run 100% of the time

the carbon and inert ingredients of other powders are too messy for me

Yeah, the gun I'm stuck with (well, the gun I have) is the 6.5" 610 classic. I don't use WST at this point and will probably stick with Longshot or U Clays for the heavyweights since I have several pounds of both. Last night when I was loading some 38 supers for another gun, I remembered I had some Ramshot Competition that I could play with for the 140 and 155 RN bullets. I may put some of those together and see how that works. I think that stuff is similar to straight clays and is usually utilized for light to medium target loads (12 gauge, 1 1/8 ounce, 1145-1200 fps, 2 3/4 to 3 dram loads). The light bullet loads I'm loading to 1.140" and the 220's to 1.295" give or take. I don't want to inadvertently load any of the 220's in any other gun BUT the 610. The light bullets loads will definitely cycle my Sig and I like having the option of shooting them in that gun if I'm stuck for ammo some time.

Vince