Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can You....?

Fireant

Not a gunsmith but I think you can..either turn down the bbl to stock dimensions and put the bushing on it or get a replacement bbl and then you have to fool with the bbl hood, link and pin, and the locking lugs...if all that was fit with the bull bbl, just turn it down and you should be good to go.

You can do both.

But first, if the gun was originally fitted with the bull barrel, you must ascertain that the slide was factory fitted/cut with the bushing lock internal slide cut-out. Not all factory slides issued with a bull barrel have that cut out. In fact I insist that all the slides from my suppliers, (whenever possible) for bull barreled guns do not come in with that internal cut-out. If you have that cut out in your slide and you wish to put in a conventional bushing barrel, all you need is to have the parts fitted properly and you are good to go.

If on the other hand you have a bushing and barrel set-up, then a normally available bull barrel will fit right in after "rear" fitting. Most slides and bull barrels will measure around 0.700 +-

Do you have a picture of what it should look like? I'm still pretty new to the whole STI frame anyway.

Thanks.

No, I don't have a picture handy. If you remove the barrel, and then look inside the front of the slide, you should see a small internal cut-out to the left where the barrel bushing locks into to hold it in place. If you had/have a barrel & bushing set-up it will have this recessed cut. Many/most of the "factory" 1911's will have that bushing-lock cut regardles of the barrel (bull or not) that came with the gun. Normally it will not affect performance when coupled with a bull barrel, and it is of course "needed" when a bushing is used.