Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Reload For Rifle Or Buy Factory Ammo?

PistolPete

for serious match work like service rifle when i used an AR I always loaded my own. I have some large amounts of brass, powder, and pills. As for blasting I find that factory is great. yet, I have literally hundreds of pounds of components to load so I still buy factory and i load blasting ammo. I just hole away the factoey stuff until my supply of 55gr pills is gone. I figure I have around a year or so. i dont really shoot my ARs much. Now for my match gun which is an M1A I always practice and shoot my match loads. It is pricey for me to shoot J4s over a prepped case but it is the only way i can be sure of the rifle and the load. Now in my fun guns like my AIM-74 I will never load that round again. The ammo while currently not cheap is a pain in the ass to load.

But of course I still have a set of dies for it.

My other rifles like my 300 win mag and 700 VS i load for. If I want to just blast I figure I can use the AKs of my "junk" M1A with the 5k of SHTF ammo I have saved.

However I find that now that I hit my 30s I am getting bored with the pray and spray and I am focusing on my marksmanship in an extreme way.

If I want a bullet hose I just use the NFA Cobray and that is only fun is you have steel targets.

I guess in anyway i still spend too much money on this hobby. I hope my kids get into shooting or my wife is goinf to make some gun nut very happy when she has the garage sale after I die.

hiro

• 2 weeks later...

I reload for several reasons:

I want to know that when I am shooting at tough targets, the ammo and rifle will perform. It puts the onus on me to be good;

When I was a High Power shooter I came up with several terrific loads that also shoot great in my Tactical rifle, so I do not have to do any development;

I am cheap;

I already own all of these nifty tools and bullets;

My High Power loads were all done with moly coated bullets and stick powder. I only use the expensive bullets on precision or distant targets, and use 55 FMJBT on the rest of the stages. Since going between moly and naked bullets and going between ball powder and stick powder both cause accuracy loss for a few rounds and sometimes shift POI for a few rounds, you want to avoid that. Factory ammo is naked bullets and ball powder. How? Always shoot moly bullets and stick powder, which means you gotta handload.

I make my handloading easy. For precision ammo, I do the whole nine yards myself. For my 55 FMJBT stuff, I scarf LC and Win cases wherever I can, ship 2000+ cases to RVO for size/trim/primer pocket swage/clean, prime while watching a movie with the wife, and load on the progressive.

Works fine.

Billski