Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem With Redding Die

TRG65

I noticed on a previous batch of 223 rounds I had loaded a semi circle "cut" into the bullet about 1/3 of the way back from the tip. Pre-seating this cut doesn't exist. I took my die (Redding Competition Seater) apart and cleaned it out good.

Today I was loading another batch and it was happening. This is not a once every ?, this is every round. My first thought was the neck sizing bushing is too small and the seater is having to push too hard. However, my loaded rounds measure .243" and that is the same size as the sizing bushing I'm using. All the brass was chamfered prior to adding powder and seating the bullet.

I'm concerned because the bullet profile is being damaged. I would actually be less concerned if it was uniform around the bullet, but being only semi it concerns me more. This hasn't affected the bullets at 100yds, and really I don't expect to see affects at 200 (this is the limit of the range I have access too). But I expect this will throw things out of wack further out.

I'm going to call Redding on Monday, but I wanted to find out if anyone had any ideas on an easy fix that might keep me from sending the die away for a couple weeks.

Thanks

Seth Ritzman