Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Technique

JimP

the target is about 24 X 36 and has a series of shapes on it ( triangles, circles, squares ) some red, black and white. A typical fire sequence may be load a 6 round clip - put 1 round on each red triangle ( 3 of them ) in 5 seconds ( say at 30 feet ) - cease fire - now put 1 round on each of the black squares (3 of them ) in 5 sec. Any suggestions on how to shift your focus between objects after the first shot as the gun is returning from recoil. The squares are a full 4" but when it comes to the triangle it's a smaller bulls-eye since it's only about half of the same area - if that makes sense.

I do ok, at least by my standards, with the drill now - hitting maybe 35 - 40 out of 48 shots - but I toss a few outside of the shapes by an inch or two. It's tough for me to get beyond 40 hits on this target. Any thoughts / help would be appreciated.

Any suggestions on how to shift your focus between objects after the first shot as the gun is returning from recoil

When shifting your focus over such a small distance (by your target description is sounds like the target/object spacing is only 10"-12" apart) it is very difficult to notice and become aware of any difference of change in focus from object to object. If you never see a change (and in all likelhood you don't) you will not be aware of what is required to shift you focus.

If you are not aware of any diffrence (much about shooting requires the shooter to be aware of what is occuring so that it can become repeatable on demand) try using 2 of the targets you prefer to shoot and spacing them 8'-10' apart at the same distance. This will allow you to "see" and become "aware" of the change in focus required to "transition" between targets. The more you see, the more you become aware, and the smoother everthing becomes.........well at least in principle. :wacko:

Don't track the sight to the target, snap your eyes and let the sight follow, after a while your sight will just appear on the target.