Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being A Water Head.

boo radley

Sometimes I wonder that I'm allowed NEAR guns.

Got an S&A magwell/MSH, used, in the mail to put on my Kimber Custom II. Figured it wouldn't be that difficult to install; there are nice photo detail-strip instructions out there on the web, and besides - it looked like all I had to do was punch out the pin, slide the old one off, and put the new one on.

Good Sat. AM project.

An hour later I've stripped everything except the upper, and find myself wrestling with a curiously difficult magazine catch, and puzzling over the sear and leaf spring relationship. Another hour goes by, in which I assemble/disassemble the f*ing gun 4 times, completely before it occurs to me to ACTUALLY LOOK at the original MSH, and notice there's something inside I have to transfer to the new MSH.

Guess the big round hole wasn't just to hold the hammer strut.

I cautiously poke on the pin that appears to be retaining the spring-loaded something, and the pin slides out of the first hole, and twists up the plastic Kimber MSH. I figure it's ruined anyway, and the easiest way to remove the pin, is to free it by using a knife, with my thumb held lightly over large round hole, to retain the spring-loaded something.

That worked mostly amazing well, to free the pin, anyway. It's so free, I doubt I will ever see it again, although I've spent the last 40 minutes crawling around on the cold, dirty floor of my garage, in search.

And a minute taking this picture -- why does Kimber use such a plastic POS anyway, for this part?? If it had been metal, The pin would have slid cleanly out, and I wouldn't have been tempted to use a knife for this job.

msh.jpg