Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sdb Pre-sale Question

I am pretty close to making up my mind and ordering an SDB. Currently, all I load is

.45 and 9mm and I am more the 'setup up and leave it' than I am always expirimenting.

Anyway, my current setup is a Lee 4 station Turret Press with indexing disabled. Currently,

my process.

1. Clean Brass

2. Using Lee Die, deprime/reform case (I do this as a seperate step to my brass)

3. Prime/Charge Case (this is also done until I fill my 2-50 case bullet trays)

4. Seat/Factory Crimp Die

I can do about 200rnd/hour this way. I generally like to make 1000rn or so at a time

of each caliber. But, I want to save time.

With that background, here are my question:

1. How much force is needed with the Dillon SDB to shape/deprime the case? With 9mm,

I am using a awful lot of force depending on the case (I am assuming the smaller surface area

means the force is distributed over a smaller area kind of thing)? WIth .45 brass, I don't normally need to apply as much force as the 9mm.

2. Is there a sleave that fits around the decapping shaft?

3. Per my earlier Post, I assume the spent primers make it into the cup?

thanks!

I am pretty close to making up my mind and ordering an SDB. Currently, all I load is

I can do about 200rnd/hour this way. I generally like to make 1000rn or so at a time

of each caliber. But, I want to save time.

I just sold my SDB but only to move up to an XL650(gratuitous brag). The SDB is a great press, and you should be able to load 100/10min on it. See many threads, here, on the subject.

With that background, here are my question:

1. How much force is needed with the Dillon SDB to shape/deprime the case? With 9mm,

I am using a awful lot of force depending on the case (I am assuming the smaller surface area

means the force is distributed over a smaller area kind of thing)? WIth .45 brass, I don't normally need to apply as much force as the 9mm.

Not very much, IMO, especially if you use Hornady One-Shot case lube. There's a very slight shove needed on the down-stroke, which de-primes and resizes, and just a little at the end of the movement, when the primers is seated. It's very hard to quantify, as brass condition affects this, as does use of case-lube, etc. But you've got a great deal of mechanical advantage. With newish brass, and One-Shot it's almost effortless.

2. Is there a sleave that fits around the decapping shaft?

Not sure what you mean, nor do I remember. IIRC, it's just like any other resizing/depriming die, where a replaceable pin is centered in the carbide sizeing die. Don't remember if the pin was a single piece or sleeved and retained in another piece. Why do you ask?

3. Per my earlier Post, I assume the spent primers make it into the cup?

Most. Sometimes some would bounce out, which could be solved with a small piece of tape around the cup rim. I never bothered with the tape, and maybe 5-10 per 100, tops, would bounce out, to be collected later under the Strong Mount. No biggie.

Buy extra primer tubes.

Great press, I love mine! :wub: I am considering buying another used one for another permanent set-up in another caliber. I load 9, 40 and 45 without a hitch. Load rate is subject to your familiarity with the press and loading process. But I can load about 750-800 rounds an hour consistantly. +1 on buying extra pick-up tubes. I have 5 small and 5 large. They really help speed up the process. I also recommend Hornady's One Shot lube. That really helps smooth out the "stroke" for seating as well as priming to produce a more consistant load.