Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N310 Vs. N320 On .45acp Lead

ist45

Hi all,

For 230LRN, I use 4.0 N310 for a P.F. of 178. If I use 4.5 N320 on 230LRN, I only get a PF of 170.

For 200LSWC, I get a PF of 178 from 4.4 N310. I still havent chrono'd with my latest batch of 5.2 N320 but my friends make major with it.

I use a 5" SW625 :)

My question is, which powder is better for my loads and gun? My particular concern would be on case life and crud on the gun.

Thanks so much.

All of last year I ran VVn320 through my 625 and never had any problems. Very clean and seemed softer than straight clays. I just bought a Lb of 310 but have not had time to try any loads with it yet. Thye say 310 is the sh*t for 45 acp. Will let you know when I try it out.

Tom

Edited by Tom Mainus

All of last year I ran VVn320 through my 625 and never had any problems. Very clean and seemed softer than straight clays. I just bought a Lb of 310 but have not had time to try any loads with it yet. Thye say 310 is the sh*t for 45 acp. Will let you know when I try it out.

Tom

Tom,

what's your load for 200LSWC using N320?

Thanks...

The ONLY reason I can think of as a reason to shoot lead is cost savings$$???

<_<

Then why shoot VV powders when Tightgroup or straight Clays are both cheaper and Clays is softer and cleaner than even 320 in a 45 shooting lead.

The ONLY reason I can think of as a reason to shoot lead is cost savings$$???

<_<

Then why shoot VV powders when Tightgroup or straight Clays are both cheaper and Clays is softer and cleaner than even 320 in a 45 shooting lead.

VV is the only powder with constant supply in our place. :(

I liked N310 over N320 with 230gr. FMJ in my 1911. Felt softer to me. After much comparison, I'm back using Clays now. It's REAL close to N310 in performance and feel, in my opinion. N310 is maybe a little more consistent in velocity, but not enough so to make me want to spend almost double the cost of Clays. If all you can get is VV, then N310 is fine powder, just more expensive.

Now, if you are going to use 200gr. bullets at Major PF, I'd say definitely stay with VV N310. My experiments with Clays pushing 200gr. moly coated bullets to 165PF led to some pressure signs on the primers in my gun. N310 seemed to do it without so much pressure and it felt soft and was very consistent at a little over 165PF.