Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need tips on motion improvement

So I have been looking at my Practiscore results for the past 10 or so USIA’s and multigun matches. My accuracy has improved to the point of being equal or in a few cases better than that of the top shooters in my squad. So after reflection what  I need to practice is shooting and reloading while moving and also going from target to target faster. I need to cut that time by at least half. Does anyone have drills or exercises to help with these things.?

Well, that's the whole game, isn't it? Anyone can get the same or better hits while taking their time. USPSA is entirely about getting them at speed. Every single piece of advice is about getting faster while getting your hits. So, basically EVERY "

drills or exercises to help with these things.?" will help you. All of it. So, narrow your focus, find out where you differ from the good guys and work on those parts of your game. Good luck, be safe, have a blast.

As a total new USPSA shooter (who is a mid-C class), I've found that drills that just do something very specific and brief help me a lot more than doing "larger" drills that require a lot of moving parts. For dry fire, for example, I have a drill where I double target one, move to a second area just a few steps away, and double the second target. For me, though, I use it to practice speed reloads. I dry fire the first target, hit the mag release (no mag in the gun), reload (real mag with weighted dummy rounds this time), and then shoot doubles again at the second target. So really, I'm just practicing a fast reload while moving, but have a "before and after" so it isn't completely static. This has helped my reloads in matches (they're not great, but getting better).

When I started, I tried doing drills where I'd draw on the beep, engage three targets, reload and engage three more targets. I honestly didn't see much improvement because I was working too many skills to really understand where I had problems. IE if my scores are slow (they are) is it because of transitions? Is it because of the reload? Is it because of my draw and a crappy grip?

Anyway, specificity is what I'm focusing on right now. IE just practicing part one of the draw and making sure my grip is right.

Cheers (for what it is worth)