Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win SX2 update

Carlos

Overall, I am very pleased. This gun seems to have the low recoil of a Rem 1100/1187 but with the durability of the hard-kicking Benelli M-1. The fiberoptic belongs on all IPSC shotguns. For a limited comptition gun ready to go out-of-the-box, the Super X2 practical model is great.

Now the hitches I have hit: in a few hundred rounds, it jammed on slugs two times - ironically both times with Winchester 2 & 2/3" slugs! It loves the S&B brenneke style slugs and ran 3 boxes of the remington low recoil slugs without a hitch (likely to be my new competition slug).

AA Superlight loads won't run; they are just too light. However, some real softball 1 & 1/8 oz #8 trap loads I made up with WAA12 wads, rem or fed primers, and either Red-dot or green dot (will have to look at log book again) ran through as fast as I could pull the trigger! Very soft too.  Strangely, some Rem "gunclub" cheapo #7s caused a brief flame IN THE EMPTY HULL!! (those of you who are mortar qualified are familiar with the phenomenon). Will not be using those in tall dry grass.

The Fiochi high brass #6 shot loads ran - we shot it until it was almost too hot to touch!Which might explain the next problem:

The POI for slugs changed - about 1 foot at 50 yards!! Out of the box, it shot point of aim with slugs. Then I passed it around at a local side-match. Everyone tried it and it got HOT. I cleaned it, then took it to the NRA headquarters match the other night. All my 45 yard center-A shots went through the upper A/B zone! Took it to the range and was able to drop the leaf blade to the bottom most position, and it was back to POA, but you could barely see the notch through the cantelever. Sooooooo,

I am not using the rear sight blade. At all. Folded it down. I simply use the cantelever as one big rear sight and its good enough for 50 yard Azone hits. Faster too!

My only plans for the gun are to maybe put a larger diameter fiberoptic on the front.

I thought the latest SGN had an add for regular 5-shot Super X2s (not the practical) for $599. If that gun comes with the  24" barrel and cantelever mount, it might be just the ticked (provided other winchester mag extensions will fit it). Just add the mag ext. and the fiberoptic of your own choosing and you will have about what I am shooting.  Any other X2 shooters out there? What have you discovered?

(Edited by Carlos at 9:40 am on May 9, 2002)

I haven't shot mine all that much. Maybe 300 rds.

I use the Win AA superhandicap 7.5's and it has run perfect.

Have you done anything to the trigger or anything else to make it smoother or more reliable?

No modifications so far.  I can get it to hang up about a 1/2 inch short of closing - it would never happen during firing or actual use, it just bugs me that I could make it happen. I think its either:

1) the lug/barrel contact is rough

2)the bolt/carrier contact is rough.

Will try to polish these so there is NO WAY the lock up sequence can be held up at any speed.  

Upon cleaning, I left the gas system dry. Everything else got synthetic lube. So far, so good.

Any experience with using a larger dia. front fiber optic?

The only one I have seen that even mentions the Win/Browning shotguns is Briley. They offer gunsmithing as well as some aftermarket stuff like mag ext & bolt handles and firing pins. I guess Cooley uses them because they offer the "Bennie Cooley Signature for Browning Shotgun".