Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My new Dillon 450 is sending me insane !

Dear Forum members, I bought a Dillon 450B a few weeks ago to match my 550C and XL750.

The 450B is in mint condition and shows little sign of use. But there  is a problem with priming and, damned if I know how to fix it.

Simply, if I adjust the primer seating punch to correctly seat the primers , it then becomes too tall to fit into the #28 primer feed body. Conversely, if I adjust the primer seating punch to slide into the primer feed body and collect a primer, it then does not seat the primers properly and leaves them protruding out of thecae.

What do I do? 

Some RL450 loaders have an overtravel stop screw threaded into the underside of the platform.  Eventually the decision was made to eliminate this stop screw, as few people used it properly.

Push down on the edge of the shellplate between stations 2 and 3. If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be tighter.

Make sure the identification number/letter stamped on the shellplate is visible on the top of the plate.

Be sure that when you push forward on the handle, the handle doesn't stop against anything, such as the loaded cartridge chute. 

Thank you 392heminut and Dillon. The issue was a loose-ish shell plate. I thought it was snug as one of the arms of the index sprocket was scraping the top of the ejector wire. In fact, one of the index sprocket arms was bent slightly downwards - causing the ejector scrape. I gently straightened the index sprocket arm, tightened the shellplate properly and all is well now.

Thanks again..