Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear Spring

sps

hi all,

today i saw for the first time a new idea of sear spring adjustment . it works like that: there is a hole in the mainspring housing just behind where the left spring of the sear spring is located, in which a little adjustment screw controls the pressure on the sear spring. close it a little and there is more pressure on the sear (and the other way round). i saw it on a limited SPS.

is anybody familiar with this method? is it worth changing the mainspring to one that have such adjustment screw? and what are the likely shortfalls of such method?

your views are appreciated.

what are the likely shortfalls of such method?

your views are appreciated.

Screw backs out, sear spring force reduces, gun can double fire or go full auto. Personally, I think the sear spring is something you dial in until you get it right and then leave it alone. I'm not sure I would want one that was set by a screw. Adjusting the spring may take a bit of tweaking, but it can be done pretty quickly.

Last time I set up a trigger, I figured out something a lot of people probably already knew: It is possible to drop the mainspring housing and sneak the sear spring in and out without any other disassembly (I got pretty good at it). You don't even have to remove the slide.

The only down side is that there will be slight tension on the mainspring and you have to force the MS housing up a bit with your thumb as you push the pin in or out. If you don't want to deal with that, pop the slide stop out and let the slide go forward far enough to take the tension off the hammer.