Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith&wesson Model645

could you give more details,

new or used

type of ammo, reloaded or factory

as far as the failure to extract,

are the cases failing to extract from the chamber, or eject out the port?

a couple of quick check are:

field strip the gun, with the slide off, barrel out, check the extractor hooks for chips. then put a loaded round against the breach face, with the rim under the extractor. rotate the slide, and the extracter should hold round in place.

also check the ejector, that is the lever on the left side of the hammer when viewed from the rear.

the ejector is spring loaded, because it is also the magazine disconnect, put a mag in, and push down on the ejector, it should not move much.

and of course the basics, make sure the gun is cleaned and lube properly.

new or used

field strip the gun, with the slide off, barrel out, check the extractor hooks for chips. then put a loaded round against the breach face, with the rim under the extractor. rotate the slide, and the extracter should hold round in place.

also check the ejector, that is the lever on the left side of the hammer when viewed from the rear.

the ejector is spring loaded, because it is also the magazine disconnect, put a mag in, and push down on the ejector, it should not move much.

new or used

new or used

the gun is used but shows no wear, the ammo i used was wolf and winchester. i checked everything you suggested. since my post i shimmed the extractor .o22. had only one jam. the spent case is not clearing the barrel. and the case is not tight in the barrel.

I don't know how you could shim the extractor, normally you would add tension to improve extraction.

if you removed the extractor to shim it, hopefully you cleaned what ever gunk was in there. second, if its a used gun, you might check if the recoil spring is stock or extra powered. some guys like heavier spring, thinking it will reduce wear, but all they are doing is slowing the slide down while traveling to the rear, and slamming hard while going forward.

last thing to check is your grip, if your griping the gun a little to lose, as the gun fires, and the slide goes back, its possible your grip is allowing the whole gun to move backwards, and preventing the slide from traveling fully to the rear.

I have a model 745- IPSC commemorative that I had the same problem with- I called Smith and Wesson Customer Service- 800-331-0852. For short $$ they fixed it- set it up with new springs, new extractor, and new ejector and had it back to me in about a week and a half- they also gave her a detail cleaning of all the parts, reset the trigger travel, new barrel, tightened the slide-to-frame fit, etc. This was a couple years back, but it was less than $100...I don't have a clue as to what it may be now.

That's the way I would go...it doesn't hurt to have the factory check her out- mine was made in 1988 and still shoots incredibly well.