Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rule?

Rmack

To my knowledge, there is no public record of the financial activity of IDPA. All we have is Bill's word that he does not draw a salary, and I have no reason to believe that is not true. Bill has publicly stated that IDPA does reimburse him for some (unspecified) expenses, so one could say that is a benefit.---Greg Jones

So we don't know what benefits, if any, Mr. Wilson gains from IDPA funds (directly or indirectly).

who started i.d.p.a.?

why would it be a crime if he benefited from it?

the statement that he doesn't draw a salary may be correct, he could still share profit from dividends, and if he does he is entitled to it, after all it belongs to him doesn't it?---postal

Yes Mr. Wilson is entitled to all IDPA funds as it is his business and I've never suggested otherwise.

The rub is that his statement that he receives no salary implies he receives no financial benefit from IDPA and is used by his partisans to suggest he receives none at all. Which, of course they don't know.

Back on Topic:

What is the "Yearly Classifier" rule actually suppose to do? And how is suppose to do it?

Respectfully,

jkelly

The rub is that his statement that he receives no salary implies he receives no financial benefit from IDPA and is used by his partisans to suggest he receives none at all. Which, of course they don't know.

Partisans-where do you come up with that? No one in this thread has suggested that he receives no financial benefit from IDPA. One member posted that Bill does not listen to those who pay his salary. I pointed out that Bill has publicly stated that he draws no salary from IDPA. That is a fact that needs to be recognized. As has been stated already, there is no documentation to support that Bill Wilson does or does not receive financial benefit from IDPA, yet his detractors continue to imply that he does, which of course they don't know.

The rub is that his statement that he receives no salary implies he receives no financial benefit from IDPA

there we go with that implying again

bill wilson stated himself he draws no salary, that would mean he draws no weekly/bi-weekly paycheck, no implication towards anything else, he stated this himself last year

now the loophole

1. if he has the corporation set up correctly, he can draw a quarterly check and not pay the full amount of income taxes he would if it where in the form of income

2. his wife may very well draw a check

bottom line, the statement he made may very well be a honest statement, to read into it any further is not bill wilsons fault

anyone of us have the same opportunity bill Wilson had when he started i.d.p.a., go ahead and try it for yourself, the years later hear a bunch of people on the internet whine moan and groan because they think you might be entitled to a dime, after all we know it is easy and free to do{sarcasm}

back to the rules

if it is a rule, and even if a club misreads the rule, isn't what matters is that we all do it, and not just you?

from p57:

Requirements for club affiliation.

4.Clubs must run the IDPA Classification Match as one their monthly matches at least once a year. IDPA HQ suggests that the classifier be shot as soon as possible and be available to classify new shooters four (4) times a year.

until that day

M

No one in this thread has suggested that he receives no financial benefit from IDPA.---Greg Jones

And no one has suggested that he receives financial benefit for IDPA.

Partisans-where do you come up with that?---Greg Jones

Partisan as in "followers".

Greg, you pointed out that Mr. Wilson said he receives no salary as was stated by JoeD.

I don't know what JoeD meant by salary, that would be between you and he.

I pointed out that IDPA partisans have used that quote in the past to imply that Mr. Wilson receives no financial benefit from IDPA which may or may not be true.

Postal pointed out that Mr. Wilson could indeed benefit from IDPA monies without drawing a "salary" in the conventioal sense.

As has been stated already, there is no documentation to support that Bill Wilson does or does not receive financial benefit from IDPA, yet his detractors continue to imply that he does, which of course they don't know.

Yes his detractors can be just a biased as his partisans!

I'm glad I've stayed netural. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

I'm not a member of IDPA, yet, but I have shot a few matches in the past. The thing that makes me laugh is the fact that there are no prizes, not even trophies at most matches, yet people are worried about what class they and you are.

I told the person doing the IDPA scores at the local match to put me in whatever class he thought I should be. I wouldn't want to win Novice twice per year when I should be in Expert. Heck, I told him to keep all the cash from my winnings. :rolleyes:

Back on topic- I haven't shot the classifier in CDP,ESP, or SSP since 1997 when I joined. Whenever I bumped up in class, it was due to match performance at a regional or national level.

Shoot it enough and anyone can bump up via the classifier. That isn't a good indication of match performance however. I have seen many move up this way and then continually get slaughtered at matches. Finishing in the bottom half of the class below your classification isn't much fun.

I believe the classifier to be a poor indicator of a true skill level. It is a starting point at best. Just as the classifiers in USPSA are not good indicators. Many folks are better at field courses or those that require a little thinking on the shooter's part than stand, shoot, reload, shoot, holster. So they do so-so on classifiers and much better with field stages. Others are just the other way around and can blaze through a stand and shoot but are all thumbs on the moving and engaging multiple targets stages.

Having a shooter classify each year will just promote sandbagging as those shooters already know how well they actually perform against other shooters in each class. Just like there will always be those who can say they are Master class shooters (earned via classifiers) but in reality compete at the Expert or A/B class level.

Once you have your classified starting point, there is little reason to shoot classifiers if you partake in major matches of any kind. Place of finish should eventually put you where you belong.

At least IDPA changed the original way they classified you at matches. It initially was any state/regional/or national win automatically moved you up a class. I won my class in SS/SSP at the Arkansas State Match and got bumped to EX. Trouble is, I was the only person shooting SS/SSP at the match. I argued but the rules said I moved up. My friend shooting EX/SSP had the same issue- only shooter in his class but still got bumped to Master. They changed this the following year but it still screwed both of us at the time.