Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triggering Timer With Dry-fire?

boo radley

I've been experimenting with dry-fire in my garage, and have a little stage with 3 positions. Near the last position, I put a small board on the cement floor, and stuck a large nut under it, a la a see-saw.

When I got done with the stage, I'd STOMP on the raised end of the board, which made a loud "CLACK" triggering the timer. Way cool, since I could run the stage different ways, and see what was fastest, or how I was improving.

True, there's some variance in the time it takes to stomp on the board, but not much, I don't think, and it beats the hell out of setting a PAR time of 24 seconds, or something. :(

The only problem is, the board tends to wander, and if I don't step on it with authority, it won't trigger the timer....Anyone have a more elegant way, or other suggestion of something I could build easily?

Heh. Next match, I'll get done shooting then probably look around for something to STOMP. :)

If you tap on the case of the timer, it should set it off. Personally, I like to run with the par timer. I feel with the par times that I am just timing the movement that is required for the shooting and not some other type of movement. Try it both ways and see which way you like.

I have had success with buying those snap caps they sell at firework stands. Small little bit of tissue paper containing some impact sensitive compund all wrapped up to resemble litle sperm.

They usually come in boxes of 100 for $1.00. They pop if throw against a hard surface, or in our case stepped on.

Later, Steven

If you tap on the case of the timer, it should set it off. Personally, I like to run with the par timer. I feel with the par times that I am just timing the movement that is required for the shooting and not some other type of movement. Try it both ways and see which way you like.

Rick -- of course. <slapping head> :( Never thought of just tapping the $*@*(%# timer.

I have been playing with both ways -- for some stuff, like "El Prez" drills, I prefer setting a par time, but in this case, I've got something a bit more elaborate, and how long it takes to "shoot" varies by several seconds sometimes.

This CED is pretty sophisticated, so I supposed I could set multiple par times, for each 'postion', but it's kind fun just time everything plus the extra motion.

Boo Radley,

I just thought of something to do for practice drills kinda like what you're doing. Instead of hitting the board that pops, or slapping the timer.

What about using a cap gun? At least you can get your movements, transitions, and somewhat (firing) down. It's not going to come close to dry firing and your trigger control on your specific gun, but at least you wont have to recock the hammer everytime.

Just a thought.

Boo Radley,

I just thought of something to do for practice drills kinda like what you're doing. Instead of hitting the board that pops, or slapping the timer.

What about using a cap gun? At least you can get your movements, transitions, and somewhat (firing) down. It's not going to come close to dry firing and your trigger control on your specific gun, but at least you wont have to recock the hammer everytime.

Just a thought.

That's not a bad idea, but man, I hate the thought of putting any practice time in with a pistol that isn't what I'm shooting in matches, vis-a-vis, grip, and sight picture.

I do wish there were a way of resetting the trigger on my Glock, w/out cocking it -- wheelgun shooters have an advantage when dryfiring in this regard, I guess....

Get an air soft gun and make the timer the last target. shot my timer alot and got down to .16 splits and the air soft feels alot like my limited STI, trigger is not bad either. cost is a little more

Edited by scorch