Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Grip Question

40LIM

I'm new to the forum. I searched and couldn't find this specifically. Just handling the gun recently, I realized, if I cam my weak hand foward less radically than I have for a long time, I get better contact with the left rear of the gun and better contact between the heels of my hands. I'm right handed, and I shoot a SV doublestack limited gun.

I'm going to test both grips this week, but I'm interested in opinions whether more foward cant of the weak hand or more hand to hand and hand to gun contact will provide a better grip.

Thank You

Fred

Matt Burkett has a good section on grip in his videos and so does Jerry Barnhart in the Burner series. Both rotate the weak hand so if you were to open your closed fingers of your week hand in the grip the fingers would be pointing downward about 45 degrees when the gun is pointed parallel to the ground. The weak hand has good contact on the grip of the weapon while touching the other hand. The Barnhart series of DVDs has a very well done, detailed explaination of this.

Rick

Clay1 and Kevin C

Thanks for the reponses. I believe I have been overthinking this. I know the "correct" grip. I think I may have been overcamming the wrist slightly, but the mirror just told me that I am only talking about a very small difference in how my thumbs and hands line up to get the more solid grip at the rear. So I guess I need to follow the advise of those here who say just grip it and rip it.

Thanks again

Fred