Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for a next step on a 9mm load

fmiller4

My current go to load is 4.3gr HP38 with a Summit 124gr RN at 1.125" which puts me at ~1100fps out of my X5.  This load will shoot under 4" offhand at 25yds for me out of my X5 and Rival.

I guess you need to decide what constitutes good enough for you?  If the load will shoot minute of head offhand at 25yds for me, that's good enough (for me).  There's also a cost component.  You mentioned being broke right now.  The difference between 4.6gr and 4.3gr is about 100 rounds/pound of powder.  And premium bullets will set you back even more, so there's that.  

I'm shooting minor, so I just make power factor plus some wiggle room and if it shoots reasonably accurate, I don't worry about making benchrest level adjustments (.001' to seating or 0.1gr charge) to a round I reload in large quantities where my acceptable tolerances are greater than that to begin with.  I'm reloading for 4 shooters in my family so my priorities may be a little different.  But if you want to go faster, I wouldn't get too hung up on getting an inch better group at 25yds through load development.  I don't think that will be what holds you back.

Hey!

Thanks for the replies!

I did another ladder test and got this target at 25-yds. While I'm not happy about the outlier, it seems like this is going to work. 

Thanks again!

f

target.jpg

Try dumping the first hand-cycled shot into the berm or off-target and see if that helps your groups.  Not uncommon for a lot of pistols to send the first one slightly off from the rest.