Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first USPSA match with some clips

ColoradoNick

I shot my first USPSA match yesterday. I felt like I did pretty good. I started purposefully slow picked up the pace a little bit as the night went on. I have a lot to learn about scoring and speed vs accuracy. I learned a ton and can't wait to do it again! Of course my best stage I didn't get filmed! Stage 3 was the classifier and where I had the most issues. Ended up hitting the no shoot. I wasn't as prepared for that one, shot left to right instead of my preferred right to left, and didn't think about being bald and a little sweaty and then establishing a good grip. Next match I'm wearing a hat. Would love any other pointers you guys see. My take aways are- limiting unnecessary movement, stage planning, and moving with a little more of a purpose. A lot of things I had been practicing- draws and reloads, didn't really seem to matter with scoring. My goal is to shoot at least two matches a month and see where I end up in a year. Regardless of that I'm having a ton of fun and have a lot to learn. I think I ended up like 24th/68 overall with my best stage finish 15th overall. About the same in Carry Optics. 

Stage 1 60% 5.22 Hit factor 22 alphas, 2 charlies 

Stage 2 70% 6.65 hit factor 19 alphas, 5 charlies

stage 3 0% 0 hit factor 2 alphas, 2 charlies, 2 misses, 1 no shoot 

stage 4 80% 10 hit factor 11 alphas, 4 charlies, 1 delta

stage 5 68% 4.54 hit factor 14 alphas, 10 charlies 

Edited by ColoradoNick

On 2/27/2023 at 10:56 AM, JoeMKY said:

Nice keep up the good work hope you enjoy it and find more matches near you 

Thanks, I had a great time time! Signed up for super classifier later this month. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for weighing points against time. Any tips?

12 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Thanks, I had a great time time! Signed up for super classifier later this month. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for weighing points against time. Any tips?

Wish I did, esp it being your first time, other than shoot as fast as you are comfortable and try for a and c zones, don't hit the no shoot, and if it is vickers count, don't take extra shots.  

Do you know what stages they will have at this super classifier?

There are so many stages, that I can't tell you the best plan for attack on each of them.  Some stationary, vickers count, free style/strong hand only/weak hand only/ , some that have movement like a regular stages that are com stock, there was one last Classifier match in feb that was like a regular small stage, but vickers count...(03-09 on the move ) that I could plan like a stage where I moved to the middle of the shooting area, leaned over right and shot, center shot and leaned left and shot, and reversed it for the next string.  

So it can vary, here is a list of them:  https://uspsa.org/classifiers/

13 minutes ago, JoeMKY said:

Wish I did, esp it being your first time, other than shoot as fast as you are comfortable and try for a and c zones, don't hit the no shoot, and if it is vickers count, don't take extra shots.  

Do you know what stages they will have at this super classifier?

There are so many stages, that I can't tell you the best plan for attack on each of them.  Some stationary, vickers count, free style/strong hand only/weak hand only/ , some that have movement like a regular stages that are com stock, there was one last Classifier match in feb that was like a regular small stage, but vickers count...(03-09 on the move ) that I could plan like a stage where I moved to the middle of the shooting area, leaned over right and shot, center shot and leaned left and shot, and reversed it for the next string.  

So it can vary, here is a list of them:  https://uspsa.org/classifiers/

Yep, I spent last night searching the classifiers here and trying to come up with a game plan. Here is a the list along with my notes on what I felt I need to practice specific to each stage. I'm going to try and replicate some of these at home to come up with a par time. 

S1 

CM 03-04 3-V

-5.5" vertical target 10 yards and closer

-Practice draw to two shots at 10yds reliably hitting A

-practice stationary reloads 

-T7,6,5,4, Reload, T1,2,3

S2

CM 03-08 Madness

-Practice draw to single shot at 10 yards from surrender position

-practice head shots at 10yds

-practice stationary reloads

S3 

CM 03-18 High standards

-15 yard draw and two shot

-stationary reloads

-strong and weak hand only at 15 yards

S4 

CM 08-03 Six

-draw from surrender with 180 turn engage target 6' to left at 5 yards

I've done a limited amount of shooting at 15 yards with weak hand only. I'm good enough for reliable A's/C's but definitely need to spend some ammo on that. Also working reloads.

These are just my notes from reading the stage cards and doing some YouTubing. If I'm missing anything, I'd appreciate any advice!

That's cool that you have an idea of the stages you will be shooting, It's usually just kept as a surprise at my club until match day.

Yeah those are pretty straight forward, 03-18 is weak hand at 10 yards so that should help out a little bit.

For CM 03-08 Madness, practicing head shot at 10 or 15 yards is always handy, but there is enough of the a zone exposed between no shoots that aim for the head will slow you down, plus there is just a small section in the head that is an a zone, so if you miss it will score a c and or a miss and there are no make up shots any any of those expect for 08-03 .  Plus 03-08 is also good practice for USPSA Torso Type 4 targets or tuxedo target.

Last time I shot 03-08 was back in 2015, the others I have not shot, Maybe someone around here might have a little more insight for you on the other stages.

Just now, JoeMKY said:

That's cool that you have an idea of the stages you will be shooting, It's usually just kept as a surprise at my club until match day.

Yeah those are pretty straight forward, 03-18 is weak hand at 10 yards so that should help out a little bit.

For CM 03-08 Madness, practicing head shot at 10 or 15 yards is always handy, but there is enough of the a zone exposed between no shoots that aim for the head will slow you down, plus there is just a small section in the head that is an a zone, so if you miss it will score a c and or a miss and there are no make up shots any any of those expect for 08-03 .  Plus 03-08 is also good practice for USPSA Torso Type 4 targets or tuxedo target.

Last time I shot 03-08 was back in 2015, the others I have not shot, Maybe someone around here might have a little more insight for you on the other stages.

I appreciate it! 10 yards will definitely be a help, I must have read it wrong.

I was thinking headshot for the middle (least exposed) target on Madness to eliminate hitting a NS? It might be weird to make that transition though? That's where I was interested in researching if there's a general thought process for accuracy vs speed. I'm trying to relate it to my scores above, specifically stage 1 with 22A's and 2 C's but moving REALLY slow vs my stage 4. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, 3gunN00b said:

man that looks like some good shooting for a 1st match. I would like to start doing some USPSA stuff along with starting out shooting 3gun

thanks! I can't get enough of it. I've been shooting 4 matches a month along with one or two bowling pin matches. I have a match tonight that will hopefully classify me into B. Right now I'm sitting at a 59.6 average 😁