Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With New 150 Federal Large Pistol Primers ?

Shoepop

Well, it's not just because the gun got dirty. This is not a pipe cleaner problem, fellas.

Shoepop's C&S firing pin was sticking in its channel because (1) it had become peened and distorted because it's too soft, or (2) it was improperly sized from the start.

Did I miss something Mike???? I have not seen where Shoepop ever said it was a C&S pin.

You jumped on it stating

Very glad you figured out the problem, and it's great that John and Randy were able to help with the solution. I'm going to take a wild guess here that you had one of those C&S extended-length firing pins installed in your gun. Am I right????
but it was never confirmed on here that I can find.

I use the C&S pin. I had a lot of trouble with the earlier ones as I did with the earlier S&W pins. They were sized a little too close. A tapered broach to the firing pin bushing and some polishing to the pin solved the problem. (I think the broach was the actual solution but I did both)

The newer C&S pins and the newer S&W pins are better. Both are smoother with less variation. I keep pins of both manufacturer with springs and retainer pins in my kit as I see them as the weak point on the new design. I also see the need to clean the bushing more frequently.

I would like to know if Shoepop actually had a C&S pin or not. Can it be confirmed?? If so, how old was the one he had.

Merry Christmas,

Gary

Gary, I too am waiting for Shoepop to mention whether it was a C&S firing pin, but I'm pretty sure John R. (who identified the problem) would have quickly told us if this had involved a stock factory pin.

Shoepop's problems are incredibly consistent with the problems I have experienced with the C&S pins. I can't imagine a factory pin being worn flat on the end like that.

Merry Chistmas to you as well!

Mike

Edited by Carmoney

I'm back from the dead or at least I thought the flu I had was gonna kill me! Ok, what I do know. It was a C&S pin. My log shows 12K + rounds down range and at least that dry fire. I clean my revolver with a Crest ultrasonic and lube it with same. After which I drip dry, run a patch through barrel and cylinder holes, spray FP & channel with brake cleaner, blow out with compressed air, check the strain screw, open the cylinder, stick my fore finger over the FP bushing and cycle it around a time or two to check if I'm getting a good FP hit and go. The 625 ran 100% up until the problem. It was so reliable I took it for granted, MISTAKE. Had I just looked in the right place I would have noticed the problem. It will not happen in the future. I even carried/carry a spare FP in my range bag! Now I will remove the side plate, pull FP/spring clean the channel and check everything every thousand rounds or so. I can also do a visual of the tip everytime I pick it up. I personally like the C&S FP and will just start considering it a wear item like the recoil spring in a bottom feeder. Thank you for all the input folks. It IS appreciated. Mark in NM

Well, in any case, glad you got your problem fixed Mark, and especially glad it wasn't a problem with our good ol' favorite Federal primers! :)

Yep, if Federal ever goes out of the primer business we're in deep kimchi.

:o