Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 Part 2

Viggen

A new S&W 617 is getting ready to go to work.

But first, forget about trigger jobs and things like that.

With the way they come from the factory, and I looked at several in different stores, they really need some help. Most of the parts never make it to a buffer at the factory, from the looks of things.

First knock any really bit metal off the star and cylinder with a file and after that take it off an buff the star and the cylinder. (Maybe this SVI's come like this direct from the factory and this is why they all get sent to a gunsmith first.)

Until you get that done it's not even shootable - too much metal hanging off the thing.

Shine a couple of things inside, a little- some lube, to your preference, and you are set to see if it will run. And that I intend to do.

Must be the new S&W - building personal involvement and commitment to the revolver by having the customer do the final stages of the detailing process.............

I wouldn't want to touch one of their semi's.

In the next day or so I will get to the range. I hope I will like this 617, now, as much or more than I liked what I previously shot.

Forgot to mention.

This got done because a friend who actually knows what he is doing with revolvers and such.

If left to my own devices it would still feel like a bunch of badly finished machine parts instead of a machine.

Yep, it shoots real well.

This is going to make a fine training too for Revo. Trigger feel is that of a centerfire revo that is not especially race prepared. It has good weight and sight radius - great for reduced cost training. And just a whole lot of fun to shoot a lot.

My initial impression, although no time has yet been spent bench resting it, is that even with the rear sights cranked all the way down, it is shooting a little high at 50 yards. I didn't have any time to check for close in.

I will have to look around for some Fiber Optic front sights for a K-frame with a little more height to replace the factory metal blade.

It is going to be a lot of fun to shoot this for training