Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frangible Tiles

Reading the Shotgun and Rifle rulebooks, I came across:

4.4 Frangible Targets

4.4.1 Frangible targets, such as clay pigeons or tiles, may be used in

IPSC Rifle matches.

4.4.1.1 Frangible targets must break with a visible piece missing or

separated from the original target to be counted for score.

Has anyone had any experience with using tiles for targets. Our club is new to multigun matches and since we are a little short on steel and reactive targets, it appears that the use of clay or ceramic tiles might be a near term fix and add some fun and variety to stages.

The big problem with these might well be clean-up afterward and the injury hazard the shards would represent. Broken tiles tend to be kind of sharp.

With clay birds there are now bio-degradable birds that break down fairly quickly but I am not aware of any bio-degradable ceramic tiles.

Clay birds are available in a variety of sizes for the Sporting Clays folks so you aren't limited to what we all think of as the standard sized bird.

Charcoal briquettes are also fun with shotguns.

I've had good luck with skeets as alternative IPSC targets- they're safer and cheaper than tiles, and available in a variety of styles, including the bio-degradable ones Kimel mentioned. One good way to use them is to string some twine and suspend the skeets from it with clothes-pins. They make a good challenge and are easy to replace.