Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear pro recommendation

fireman1776

I've been a big fan of the decibullz moldable in-ear plugs, with 2 caveats:

First, definitely go with the foam tips. The silicon mess with my ears, and were useless for an indoor range.

Second: When assembled, the center of the plugs is just a hollow plastic channel. The only thing separating my eardrum from the boom is the thin rubber cap on the outside. What I did was slice up a disposable howard leight plug (NRR 32 greenies), roll it between my fingers, then dot the end with superglue, and insert it into the channel. It expands, filling the center of the whole plug, making it a solid piece. Now they're super comfortable, and stood up to unsuppressed .556 outdoors without doubling up. 

If you're going to do the cutting plug thing, make sure to do it after submerging and forming the decibullz, so they aren't put underwater and retain the moisture.

4 hours ago, BadDay said:

I've been a big fan of the decibullz moldable in-ear plugs, with 2 caveats:

First, definitely go with the foam tips. The silicon mess with my ears, and were useless for an indoor range.

Second: When assembled, the center of the plugs is just a hollow plastic channel. The only thing separating my eardrum from the boom is the thin rubber cap on the outside. What I did was slice up a disposable howard leight plug (NRR 32 greenies), roll it between my fingers, then dot the end with superglue, and insert it into the channel. It expands, filling the center of the whole plug, making it a solid piece. Now they're super comfortable, and stood up to unsuppressed .556 outdoors without doubling up. 

If you're going to do the cutting plug thing, make sure to do it after submerging and forming the decibullz, so they aren't put underwater and retain the moisture.

Did you get the percussive ones that are made for shooting?