Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking About Reloading Again

glock17w

I am thinking about reloading again as I have hopes of competing in Limited/Limited 10 Division. I am planning on buying a G35 40 SW and have it customized by John Nagel and Steave Breeding to compete with. The pistol will most likely have a KKM Precision barrel or Barsto Barrel.

I am thinking to be further more competitive in Limited, I will need to reload my own ammo to produce a softer and flatter shooter ammo compared to factory ammo. I am thinking about the Dillon 550 reloader with the Dillion Carbide Dies and the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Dillion Case Case Gage. Extra Primer Tubes. Digital Calipers. Digital Scale. 2000 Berry's Plated Bullets. 2000 Federal Small Pistol Primers. 2000 once fired brass. 4lbs of TiteGroup or VV320 powder. Reloading Bench and any other extras I need. To buy all of this at one would be around $875.

I would have to reload 10,000 rounds of ammo in order to pay for my reloading setup.

I figure the benefit is to have a competitive edge and cheaper ammo.

Am I in the ball park on the costs and the amount of ammo needed to reload to pay for my reloading setup?

If I were you I would also consider getting a lee undersizing/depriming die. And you might want to take a look at Precision delta bullets, they have pretty good prices on jacketed .40 cal bullets. go to precisiondelta.com. I believe the 180 grain bullets run $62.50/1000 delivered to your house. But other than that looks like you have all the other bases covered.

pk

Here is the way I calculate it. I keep going over these calculations and they all come out to about the same amount.

RL 550 B for 40 SW $350

Dillon Case Gage $10

1" Bench Rench and 5 1" Lock Rings $8

4 pack of Pickup Tubes $16

RCBS Digital Calipers $45

Cabela's Digital Scale $80

Lee 4 Die Pistol Set $27

Sturdy Work Bench $75

Brass Man Brass Once Fired Brass $12/1000

Federal 100 Small Pistol Primers $16/1000

Hogdon Tite Group Powder $16/1lb

Berry Plated Bullets $56/1000

To buy the reloader and get it all set up with essential equipment and accessories and to load 1000 rounds of ammo equals about $711 plus shipping on certain items.

The cost of reloading 1000 rounds is $94 or so. The cost of buying 1000 rounds of factory 40 SW ammo is approximately $190. Once I loaded 10,000 rounds of ammo, I would have saved approximately $960 which is enough to pay for the reloading set up.

I would have ammo shooting at 168 - 170 PF instead of 180-185 PF. Iwould have a competitive edge once I tuned the ammo to the likings of my pistol. I think reloading again is a no brainer and common sense think to do. Goes back to the old saying, "You may have to spend money in order to save money." Now I just have to set my budget for my pistol and the reloading equipment.

I think I will just spend my money on 9mm ammo for my Glock 17 and shoot production. I will spend that $900 on ammo and practice. I may shoot it in Limited/Limited 10 Minor with my Glock 17 as well. WHen I get better at the sport, I will spend the money to buy another pistol and reloading equipment. I want to get better first. I will spend the money on training.

You could juggle a few things and save some money -- for example, the Square Deal, instead of the 550+dies -- and buy other things used. My reloading bench, for example, is a heavy office desk I bought at a State surplus warehouse for $5.00, and added plywood for the top.

And one thing you forgot, is a brass tumbler -- there's another $50-150.

All I would be reloading would be 40SW for the most part. I may load some 9mm and 45 ACP. I will check out the Square Deal and rethink it.

One thing I took into consideration when I got into reloading was the fact that Dillon keeps it's value very well. Figure in about 20% of your 550b for depreciation and that fine press only cost you 70 dollars. :)

I will also say, that when I get into a hobby, I GET INTO a hobby. I've already loaded apx 1K rounds of 38/357 in the few weeks I've had my loader and the satisfaction of knowing that you're firing your OWN rounds gives me a smile everytime.

I also used an old executive desk and a strong mount, but at 6'4" it's a little short, so I'm looking for a stool that will be 'just right' to add to the room.

I understand what you are saying about when you start a hobby you get into the hobby. I am the same way. When I start a hobby, I like to do it the right way the first time. I don't like to half step. That is why I think it is better for me to shoot Production for a while and get good at the game and then move my way up to Limited. If I start reloading, I want to do it right with the right equipment and accessories.

I also understand what you mean by being a little too tall for your reloading bench. I built a reloading bench that was about 3 feet high before and I was still too tall for it. I am 6'8". It also sucks trying to squat down and shoot through ports. Such is life.