Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Slack Adjustment

ASTIG

hi there. i've been a long time member of this forum but have just been lurking around. also have the BOOK and it had helped me with the way I look at shooting.

anyways, have stopped with the sport for a few years now but am trying to get back into it now. just a question for the moment though. i need to adjust the trigger slack of my sti open gun. i'm satisfied with the trigger pull but I just want to experiment with the slack. how would I go about it? :wacko:

I assume that when you say "slack" you mean the amount of travel that the trigger has before it hits the disconnector. That's what we call take up. Anyway, take the trigger out of the gun and you will find a tab on the bow near the carbon fiber part. The tab normally points up. Bend this tab forward a little and install it back in the gun. I have mine set up so that it has .020 of take up. You may want a little more than that because dirt will cause problems and I know what a pain it is to take an STI apart.

To measure the take up use your calipers and get a measurement from the front of the trigger guard to the trigger face. Then use the calipers to pull back the trigger until it stops. Don't let the hammer fall when doing this. It may take a few times to get it the way you want it.

thanks man. i hope i can get this right. i'm not one who's really into the mechanical workings of a gun. i just ask my 'smith to do things for me, but this "slack" / "take up" of my trigger is one thing i'd like to learn for myself since it's sort of an easy job :)