Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VQ Bolt Trouble in a T/CR-22

apoc4lypse

I ordered a VQ Competition Bolt for my T/CR-22 thinking it would be a drop in performance upgrade.  I actually experienced deteriorating performance compared to the standard bolt - mostly FTEs/stovepipes and failures to return to battery, which got progressively worse with the more rounds I shot.  This was using decent ammo (CCI AR Tactical and Mini Mags). 

Initially I was discouraged and swapped back in my original bolt with an intent to sell the VQ bolt, but after revisiting this I discovered where the problem was occurring - namely, the cuts on the underside of the T/CR bolt are different from the Ruger and VQ bolt with respect to the ejector.  There is a deeper cut along the bottom of the T/CR bolt where the ejector rides (see pic).  The distance between the top plane of the bolt and the bottom of this cut is right at 8.7mm, whereas on a Ruger or the VQ bolt, it's at 9.7mm.

So when I swapped my VQ bolt into my T/CR while using the standard T/CR trigger group, the ejector was pushing upward on the bolt by an additional 1mm.  When the gun was perfectly clean it was hardly noticeable but as the receiver got progressively dirtier, the bolt would start to lag and result in the failures I was experiencing.  I was able to confirm this when I tried installing my T/CR trigger group (with the LRBHO removed) into my Ruger receiver with the standard Ruger bolt - the front pin would not align because the ejector was too tall and was smooshing the bolt up against the ceiling of the receiver.

I swapped out the T/CR trigger group with a BX trigger group and will report back when I get some range time in to see if that's cured the problem.  Alternatively, the trigger group ejector could either be removed from the trigger group, or modified by grinding it down by 1mm in height, to achieve the proper sitting height to work with the VQ bolt.  I may just opt to remove it entirely as the magazine is the primary ejector on a 10/22 and without the secondary ejector, the rounds fall straight down through the magwell, which is actually more convenient (albeit less showy) than ejecting it up and catching it in the air

I checked the interface of the magazine with the trigger group and it looks like the reason why T/C designed it this way is that in the T/CR, unlike in the 10/22, the trigger group ejector is the primary ejector. The ejector extends in front of where the actual magazine lip shoulder would eject the cartridge. The reason why the bolt is cut is to get that bit of extra height over the magazine lips and I suppose to reinforce the slim ejector with metal bounds on either side to decrease the likelihood of it getting bent out of shape.

Edited by apoc4lypse

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  After using both the Ruger trigger group and the T/CR trigger group with the ejector removed, I can confirm that it was the ejector causing hang-ups with the VQ bolt. 

There is apparently just enough clearance to allow the bolt to cycle smoothly on a clean gun, but after the receiver starts to get dirty, it gums up. 

I've since ground down the T/CR ejector so it's similar to the standard Ruger one and my gun has been working fine.  So you would need to either delete or modify the stock ejector to use it with a VQ or any aftermarket bolt.

• 1 month later...