Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FWB C55 Air Pistol

this is the (discontinued) predecessor of the Feinwerkbau (FWB, see http://www.feinwerkbau.de ) C55P. It is made for competing in 5-shot air pistol events or for training Olympic Rapid Fire. In general, the CO2 pistols are less accurate than the compressed air models because of bullet velocity variations. This still is not a *fun gun*, it's a serious competition pistol. I have the corresponding Walther model and find it seriously lacking reliability (much of the time, the repeating mechanism dosn't work). FWB may be different.

Put an international air pistol target at 10 m. Shoot 40 shots w/o time limit. If your score is 370 or better, this gun is for you! If not, get something less expensive and less serious. If you never knew because you fell asleep with boredom in the middle of the process, you might also want to save your money and take up action pistol shooting instead...

--Detlef

(Edited by Detlef at 3:54 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)

(Edited by Detlef at 3:55 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)

Thanks Detlef,

I'm considering the C55P just b/c it's the same price as a single shot, so why not.  I've used Beeman's other low end offerings, but haven't been terribly impressed by them.  Any other mid range avenues - doesn't have to be a repeater - that I should consider?  

Thx,

E

in the US the offerings are severely limited, and Beeman is one of the few suppliers/importers of the European air pistols that completely dominate the market. FWB provides excellent quality, so does Walther (both German). Then there is Morini (Swiss), Pardini (Italian) and Steyr (Austrian). All provide outstanding competition air pistols. Which one is the better sports car, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini (you get the twist here)???

So, the question is more one of what you want to do with it. If you can get *any* of these at a good price (my Walther CP5 was about $ 500.-!), go for it. If you're just looking for a plinking gun in your back yard, I'd go with the American manufacturers. If an IPSC training gun is desired, look at the offerings of Umarex (Walther is a division of Umarex, S&W imports them into the US), or even at the new softair models.

I got my Walther to start competing in air pistol shooting, but then I never got into it...

--Detlef

(Edited by Detlef at 4:30 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)