Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Imi 9mm

cybrosh

Heya,

Has anyone ever encountered IMI L18A1 Series of 9mm cartridges? I don't know if it's a special series or not. I have new cartridges, '05, with L18A1 'imprinted' on them, and I'm trying to figure what is it exactly? maybe it was intended for NATO?

Cheers,

If they were for a NATO contract, they'd have a circle with a cross in the headstamp. Lackign that mark, it isn't NATO ammo. However, it could be a contract over-run or failure to accept for some other military, not NATO.

L18A1 is what Austria calls their 7.62X51 ball ammo. No idea on 9mm.

Edited by Patrick Sweeney

Agree. Have not run into that headstamp or ammo. Since I understand that reloading is not allowed in Israel, I take it we are speaking about factory ammo and not reloaded 9mm cases.

As for the "L" preceding the 18 and the "A1", I have only seen that stamp on UK or Commonwealth country ammo (I believe the Hirtenberger L7A1 9mm was produced for Brittish use). I suspect that your ammo may have been intended for use by either England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or a host of former members of the United Kingdom that still follow UK military protocol.

UPDATE: Looks like its IMI. I searched & found a post by someone from Israel using the handle: "M5Instructor" who wrote on another forum: "In addition to the "L7A1" marking, I have an IMI round marked "L18A1" sitting in front of me."

Odd, since I know Israel Military Industries uses headstamp such as "TZZ" and US aid ammo is marked WCC (winchester) - so it appears Israel does not always follow the Brit "L" designation for ammo; of course I am aware of Israel/Brittish history.

Edited by Carlos

Hey Pat, Carlos,

It is IMI - Factory ammo. I did get this from IMI, and there's no nato stamping(I used to shoot WCC 124 Nato rounds). IMI makes Winchester ammo as well :) aid ammo as you've mentioned earlier. I-Merc is also an IMI partner.

Yeah....reloading - a touchy subject - we're not allowed :angry:

Local and imported mmunition costs are staggering, but that's a different story.

I did find the L18A1 to be Austrian 7.62 in my searches.

Odd as it is, I didn't see it was British designation...cool.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll continue to search and if I find anything I'd let you know.

Cheers.

Edited by cybrosh