Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vision and getting old

Hey folks,

I have been shooting for the past year in IDPA and IPSC. I have been wearing bi-focals for the past five or six years. It took me a while to realize that I cannot clearly see the front sight with my distance lenses. I need to use the bi-focal portion to see the front sight clearly. But it drives me crazy to tilt my head back to see the gun (use the bi-focal part of the lens). I just happened to have a pair of glasses that is my bi-focal correction only (for use with the computer), and tried shooting with them. I can see the front sight clearly, but the targets are really blurry now. I seem to be shooting better ( more accurately). What is everyone else out there doing with this vision problem?

I am EXACTLY where you are as I am just approaching 50 years old.  In the last couple of years, I could no longer see the front sight with my dominant eye using distance glasses.

Here's some options:

1)  I just had new glasses made where the entire left lense is my distance scrip and the entire right lense is the distance scrip reduced by just enough so I can see the front sight clearly (cut back 0.75 diopters in my case).  This is NOT my reading scrip which would focus in closer, it is just barely enough to see the sight clearly.  Take a business card to the optometrist and hold it at arm's length and take off just enough power off the scrip to where  the tiny letters are clear.  This technique is called monovision where one eye is set up to see distance and the other close.  It's very easy to adjust to seeing this way.

2)  Using the reduced power in the right eye does mean the target is blurry, but I use an iris "peep hole" attachment on my glasses and that clears up the target a lot and still lets me see the front sight clearly.  Cost about $50, definitely worth it (not good for speed shooting, just bullseye).

I did that some years ago, and right afterwards shot my best Second Chance time ever in the Main Event.

My Optometrist warned me that it wasn't for everyone, as he'd had some who became so disoriented that they couldn't deal with it.  But for me, it's great.

Dominant eye, focused to the front sight.  Other eye, focused to the targets.

I turned fifty this year.  I have been wearing contacts for decades.  For about the last 5 or 6 years I have been using mono-vision.  My right is used for reading and my left for seeing long distance.  The problem is my left is dominate.  I generally shot pistols right handed, rifle and shotgun I can shoot with either.

So basically, I am all #$^@!^ u p.  I have tried a bit of everything.  Shoot with left eye closed, shoot with right closed, shoot with both eyes open and put a difusing patch over the left eye where it would focus on the front sight.

I am still working through all the options.  I shoot a smoking fast qualifier with the small patch over my left eye a couple weeks ago.  It was about 25% points above my normal times.  I do not know if it was an anomally or not yet.

My next visit to my eye dr is soon, I will explore reducing the power in my left contact so I can focus with that eye and shoot with both eyes open.

Browning makes the 'magic dot' which you can get off of their web-site or from Gamaliel.  Some people used a piece of type to do the same thing and it's much cheaper.

I am not sure if this helps but it is nice to know there is a whole lot of us out there having the same issues to address.  Good luck.

Eharte:  I am right handed with my right eye strongly dominant.  I shoot nearly as well left handed (two hand hold) as long as I sight through the dominant (right) eye.  I really can't sight out of the left eye.

There are ways to find the dominant eye for each person.  Lot's of controversy here.  Some claim dominance is learned and can be retrained (I couldn't do it).  For some folks both eyes are about equal, for me I just can't sight out of the left eye.  I tried very hard because my left eye is still excellent:  perfect distance and still sees the sights clearly with standard glasses.  When I sight out of the left eye, I get dizzy and my focus starts twitching and jumping.  I guess I'm stuck with the right eye.

But, I am very non typical:  I shoot best with both eyes open focused on the target.  I still sight through my right eye and see the sights floating on the target image.  Works best for me.

I put a laser sight on my gun.  Don't even have to look at the sights.  Just put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger.  Works great at indoor ranges or in poor light.  Doesn't work in sunlight.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Just a note to thank everyone for their replies. What a great forum....Thanks to BE and all others.

Just to update everyone if you are interested. I am the old gomer that has to wear bi-focals. This is a report of the saga and hopefully the final solution (for me).

When I started shooting competitively last year...I didn't realize I couldn't see the front sight clearly unless I looked thru the bi-focal. So I switched to a pair of glasses that had the bi-focal prescription. I could see the front sight clearly, but the targets were big time blurry. Better but still not happy. Then a member of this forum recommended a pair of glasses with the dominant eye the bi-focal, and the non-dominant eye distant.

I was very uncomfortable with this theory, but decided to give it a try. WOW...it works great. The lessons that BE have about learning to put the gun to the appropriate place makes this work better...I lift the gun up and I see it clearly in the dominant eye...yet I can see the course of fire with the other eye. It will take a while to train my brain what eye to use when...but I can tell it will be great. I have no problems moving and seeing.

Another note:  We shoot steel targets commonly here in SC...I have been amazed at the lead splatter. Several people have ended up with bleeding facial wounds from the lead...in an attempt to protect my eyes more...I went to "rec specs"...got them at a local eye shop. Designed for most sports....good visual coverage and excellent eye protection. The prescription lenses are 3mm thick poly carbonate...if something goes thru that you really are in trouble.

Once again, thanks for all the good advice.

Ed Harte