Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland 012.5 Or I Hacked It Up

Crusher

I've been useing an 012 for about 4 years now and liked the holster however I had an experiance the other day during dry fire drills that really hurt. I managed to snag my middle finger and ring finger nails on the belt and tore em back (hurt like hell) and decided I needed to improve (modify the rig)

Step One: space the holster body an additional 3/16" out from the belt via the use of shims between the holster body and the belt mount (remove the two allen head screws that hold the body to the belt mount and add 3/16" plastic shims)

This allowed me to clear the belt with my fingers on a snatch draw.

Step Two: After adjusting the holster I marked the support rod and hacked off the excess (yes I removed the section that holds the thigh support pad). After long matches I would have a bruise on my upper thigh from this pad banging around and it felt restictive.

The test (dry fire): I donned the rig, gun and mags and proceeded to draw/holster jump, run, start/stop, sit/stand/sit and the rig feels like a different holster. The holser is just a stable as the pre hack and shim job but is MUCH more comfortable and is still within the 50mm for max distance allowed. It feels faster, dry fire says its faster (par time) and I will never hit my fingernails on the belt (also Safariland) again nor will I have a bruised upper thigh.

Next are some mag pouch (Safariland) modifications hehehehehe. I may shape a wedge to mount behind the mag pouch body to angle the mag out :blink: