Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dryfire "office" Drill -- How Fast?

boo radley

I've been messing around for the last week or so, practicing dry-fire and draws, in my office, upstairs.

I'm kinda amazed, since even after buying a fancy CR-Speed rig, the times for me for this drill really haven't improved any, and I'm curious, in general, what experienced shooters would do?

Put two Post-It<tm> Notes on one wall, relatively close together, and one on a second wall. Eye-level is fine.

Standing with hands relaxed at sides, draw, shoot each target twice, then reload, and shoot the last target again, twice.

In other words, if you call the Post-It notes "T1, T2, and T3", you'd draw, shoot T1(2), T2(2), T3(2), reload, T3(2).

I've been setting my par-time to 5 seconds, and can *barely* break it, after getting warmed up and running this a couple times. This hasn't changed in weeks.

Try making your par time 4.8 just so you have to HURRY like hell to make it.

I have experienced the same problem a fancy new holster and my draws are the same.... most holsters do not make the draw faster, but allow a better more consistant grip on the gun. also, until you get your new draw stroke programmed into your body it's not working at it's full potential as it was with the previous holster. Getting programmed can take a long time. after 6 months of shooting open i still went for the mag where my production mags were.

Thx Steve and Eric.

That's an interesting tip on the "beep". On some stages in matches I'll hear the beep and it will seem an eternity before I can clear the pistol and start shooting - worse, in my mind, I'll be processing the concrete thought "Gee, really slow draw that time, Steve," and I know *that* isn't a good thing.

This exercise is getting a little bit better, though. Messed with it over this holiday weekend. Funny how relaxed is always faster. It's also funny how sometimes I'll "jerk" anticipating the beep, kinda like how one's leg will give a sudden twitch before drifting off to sleep....