Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Mag Tube Humps

ChillyB

Been looking at M3000 for a while, was easily abke to resist them at $550 but local chain had them for $400 after a $75 mail-in rebate.  It's a 28" Max 5 camo.  For $400 they could paint it pink, or worse yet "zombie green".

First order of business was a full teardown to get rid of the rust preventive goo.   I pity the fool who skips this step.

I noticed the mag tube is not a simple straight cylinder.  At front and rear there are raised humps at 120-deg separation.  At first I thought it was a defect, then noticed the symmetry so figure it serves some purpose.  I speculate the humps help to remove slide slop when in battery, but gives it clearance while cycling.  Seems like it should also give the spring some clearance so it isnt rubbing the tube as much.  Anyone know for sure?  Are all M3000 tubes this way or is this a recent change?

Thanks

ChillyB

20181222_104802.jpg

See the shiny axial stripe near my finger.  There are three shallow humps front and three rear.   Looking at it again, the ring on the slide bar assembly never rides over the humps.  Purpose must be related to the spring, perhaps helping to center the ends of the spring so the center tends to not drag on one side or another.  

I tried. I really did!  But 134 pages of unorganized pages on the Stoeger 3000 is more than I can bear.  I made it through 66 pages, and while helpful the menagerie of topics is difficult to handle.  My phone needed to recharge thrice.  Maybe this is a signal that a sub-forum of Stoeger M3000 is warranted but its not my forum so who am I to say.  What I can say is 134 pages of posts is like the closing scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark where treasure is haphazardly shoved into an impossibly-large and uncatalogued repository of information.  

If anyone is interested my M3000 tube is smooth and quiet.  The tune has some humps front amd rear.  My guess is purpose is to center the spring at the rear because the spring never touches the front humps. I speculate the tube threads are identical front and rear so humps on both ends makes it error proof since can go on right either way. Maybe this was discussed between pages 66 and 134 but it'll take weeks of reading to find out.  

Hammer spring cap on mine is steel.  Somewhere between page 1 and 66 someone said theirs was plastic.  So that is now upgraded as well.   

Spring ends (all of them) are rough cut.  I polished and deburred each.

I discovered the issue of the hammer hanging because of the tight radius on corner of the hammer and blended that radius.  That is fixed.  My disconnector seems to not have a lot of engagement.  Will monitor for doubling, and try to milk trigger to induce failure.  So far, after thorough cleaning and polishing of surfaces that seem important, it ate three boxes of junk ammo salted away for my old 870s. 

I'll try to wade through pages 67 thru 134.  Seriously, the Stoeger M3000 traffic warrants an organized sub-forum.