Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 9mm Major With 115fmj And Aa#5 Or 7

jcmios

none of those last three will work

bullseye and 231 would give peak pressures exceeding 100KPSI (roughly 3X Max pressure)

you just cant cram enough number seven in the case...it barely makes it in a super...never going to happen with 115s and AA7 in a 9mm.

AA5 might work, but i bet pressures will be upwards of 75Kpsi for a major load.

with a major 9, your saving so much on brass why not buy some VV3N38? or some N350 or 3n37

If you try to make major in the 9mm with 231 or bullseye youll likely see the pearly gates before you see 165 power factor

3n37 is about the fastest powder that I would use

Jim - it looks like you are the man behind Miossi Gun Works; if so, then you have quite a rep as a CZ gunsmith over on www.czforum.com and www.czshooters.com

You are no beginner when it comes to 'smithing CZs.

A couple of words of advice on 9 Major;

-fast powders are a no-go. Forget about 231 & Bullseye & AA#5. They are at the wrong end of the spectrum. They simply will not work. They could well blow your gun sky high.

-better? Vihta Vouri N350. If its not for sale in your area, you should be able to find IMR 7625 (now owned by Hodgdon). If that is not on the shelf, try (if you must) Power Pistol. I would not use crappy old antique "Blue Dot" - it filthy and unrelaible.

-forget about 115s and START with 124s. Other members here have just barely managed to make it with 115s but its really on the ragged edge in my opinion. I'd urge you: don't risk it. Especially when 124s are so much easier.

-Your Tanfoglios & CZ are strong guns & can handle Major. However, please load out to the max magazine length for a CZ: 1.155" to 1.160". You are gaining NO benefit loading shorter & are risking it as far as pressure.

Do yourself a favor and search the 9mm forum here for safe 124 grn loads & the powders/OAL and bullets used.

Regards for a CZ/Tanfoglio fan,

D.C. Johnson

BTW, I did find a AA#7 load from the Lyman Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook, Second Edition; Page 146.

The load is NOT for the 9x19mm, but rather for the 9x21. HOWEVER, the minimum OAL is designed to work with 9x19mm guns of strong design and modern manufacture. The CZ is modern; it did not exist befor '75. It is strong, using a Browning lock up.

Here is the load from page 146: 9mm FMJ/FP, 124 Grn, AA#7 Start: 7.3 grns MAXIMUM load: 9.8 grns. Max load velocity: 1335 FPS: 165 PF. Pressure: 32,100 C.U.P.

Again, please make the OAL LONG for safety. Also, please verify this load with the reloading manual and use only new brass or 1x fired brass.

Carlos thank you for the kind words. I rarely shoot 9mm except for when shooting customers guns but do have a few 9's in my collection and was interested in seeing and feeling the differance with the 9 major. I figured the fast powders were too fast but I do have some other powders a few that you have mentioned and wwill try them. I also have 124 and 147grs bullets and will go with the 124. I appreciate the load info and will check my loading manuals load some up and break out the chronograph as soon as I get a little free time.

Thanks for your reply's

Jim

BTW, I did find a AA#7 load from the Lyman Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook, Second Edition; Page 146.

The load is NOT for the 9x19mm, but rather for the 9x21. HOWEVER, the minimum OAL is designed to work with 9x19mm guns of strong design and modern manufacture. The CZ is modern; it did not exist befor '75. It is strong, using a Browning lock up.

Here is the load from page 146:  9mm FMJ/FP,  124 Grn,  AA#7 Start: 7.3 grns MAXIMUM load: 9.8 grns. Max load velocity: 1335 FPS: 165 PF.  Pressure: 32,100 C.U.P. 

Again, please make the OAL LONG for safety. Also, please verify this load with the reloading manual and use only new brass or 1x fired brass.