Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 986 50 yard accuracy?

Lower40

Thinking about giving NRA Action Pistol a go again and have interest in the "L" frame 986 in 9mm.  Looking for feedback related to your 50 yard grouping feedback with that revolver - as required in the Practical event.  I have had great grouping with a Manhurin 9mm revolver with light JHP rds in the 110/115 grain range but see some posts on other forums that the 986 prefers the 147 gr lead bullet.

Have no idea of the actual barrel bore or cylinder bore diameter for the 986.

Thanks

Looking at Production or Metallic?  Keeo in mind there are only 12 shoots at 50 yards in the Practical event. But you must shoot the same ammo at all four events @ minimum of 120 Power Factor.

A Hornaday .357 125 grain projectile will pass thru my 986 cylinder with a slight push. My 929 will shoot under 2" at fifty yards with Zero and Hornady HAP projectiles. Winchester Auto Comp and Vit N330 have worked well for me.

Speed is your friend with the 9mm...1150 FPS or higher will probably show the best results at 50 yards. While "bounce " on the barricade my be an issue.

X ring on the NRA target is 4" and the 10 ring is 8".

Revolvers are a blast to shoot in NRA action pistol.

Tom

Thanks Tom.. possibly  considering an open revolver and haven't shot competition in over 15 years now.  Would like to know more about the "mover" scope technology,  I see items like the "stick shift" and Leupold Gilmore?  As far as revolver/load accuracy I like to start at the 50 and work back.

BTW: familiar with the barricade, at my first Bianchi Cup I tied for first place in the barricade event with Brian Enos..we had a shoot off - he won!